Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been talking to shops re my Trek 4300 - going from MTB to Hybrid. I get different opinions from each person and i thought it would be good to try this forum. I enjoy riding paved streets and paved bike paths - but, i like my 4300 so i decided to modify it.
So far I changed to road tires, added 2" to steering stem to raise handlebars as i like more upright position, new grips, .... now debating about cassette vs crank gears or both. Welcome ideas / experiences.
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crank gears currently are 42/34/24 cassette is 11/32
I have noticed many hybrids have a 48 big crank gear and that the 11/32 cassette seems pretty standard.
I have been experimenting recently and I think I get more speed with a bit less effort with the middle (34) gear compared to the 42 outer gear so maybe going to 48 does not make sense. What do you think?

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
My bike has 26 inch wheels, 48/36/24 chain rings, and an 11/34 cassette. Going downhill or with the wind, I'll get going fast enough to spin out in 36/11, so I use the 48/11 combination fairly often.

Switching to 48 from 42 may be worth it for you if you do end up spinning out in your current top gear. Just make sure your derailleur will handle the larger ring. Also note that going to 48/34/24 will give you some duplicate gears between the 48 and 24 rings.

You might be interested in checking some combinations out with the gear inch / shifting pattern calculator at Bicycle Gear Inch & Shifting Pattern Calculator Enter your gearing and it shows gear inches, rollout distances, and speeds for all your gear combos. It's about the best one out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts