Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say Hi and poke around here a bit and see what's what.

Have a few others (not Frejus(es)) but nobody wants to see an old Raleigh Sprite.
Sorry the pic is so BIG.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Welcome, hope you find it to your liking. Now on to the important stuff. I would most definitely enjoy seeing pics of your Raleigh Sprite. I am excited, is it an early 60's model road bike or the later sprite touring bike. So come on now don't leave us hanging pics pics pics.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,536 Posts
Beautiful bikes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
coco2, the red one's a Frejus.
The saddle is a "Wrights" that, at least in terms of comfort and support, has seen better days.
The green Raleigh has a Brooks, I guess they're everywhere but I'd never seen one before, at least not with thin leather, if it is leather, and a mass of springs under the cover as well as the rear.
Pictures by malcolmsfrejus - Photobucket
Here's a link to more pic's and another bike if anybody's interested.
Thanks for al the nice comments everybody.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Raleigh is all original down to the tires and tubes. I did replace cables and housing but everything else is as bought, even has the remnants of the price sticker on the seat tube (but I can't read anything on it). It was a relative's bike prior to being handed down to me. Aside from a little patina it's almost showroom new.
The Frejus was a bit of work....
Jack at Franklin Frame here in Ohio repainted, decaled the frame. The fork was damaged pretty bad so he put in new blades using the original crown and steerer tube. Only the chrome on the crown and fork blades is new, the rest is original and not quite perfect. The original paint was almost OK, looked good from 20 feet away, but the top tube had been repainted with a non matching color and with a brush. The colors are the way it was before.
The components are original except for the stem/bars, brakeset and rims. I had new wheels done for it (original hubs) and the original brakeset was Ballila centerpulls that were fine but no hoods - one of the levers was bent, presumeably from the same impact that messed the fork up. The stem was too short for me and the bars were 37's. A little narrow for the previous owner as he was 6'3". Both were TTT, now the stem is still but the bars are Nitto B115's. This was my wife's great uncle's bike from new, still have the receipt from Wastyn's in Chicago - $130 in 1966. Everybody else in her family is struggling to break 5'6", so it went to me when he passed.
Both of them work as well as they did new (I would assume). I recently replaced the Allvit on the Raleigh with a Huret Eco and a Suntour Mity thumbshifter - works worlds better. The gearing (half step) on the Frejus is fun to shift but way to high - something like a 55" low.
Sorry for rambling - probably way more than anyone wanted to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts