New gal

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by hpmarie86, May 23, 2010.

1. hpmarie86

hpmarie86 New Member

I am new to this forum. I don't own a bike right now, but I am planning to buy one this week. I am torn between the Trek Fx 7.1 or the Giant Cypress DX 2010. I need some feedback. The trek is cheaper which is nice, but I have read that the Off road handling is poor. I would like to commute, excercise and ride some gravel trails as well as the Katy trail. No rough trails, but I do need something that will hold up. Any suggestions? They are both in the 450-500 price range I am looking at. Which one should I go with?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Welcome to the forums! While I'm partial to Giant, you should get whichever one fits you the best. In that price range, there isn't going to be a huge difference.

3. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Welcome!

I bought my first Trek a month ago and pleased thus far. The main thing is to make sure buy a bike that fits you; ie correct frame size and needs. Highly recommend taking the advice of the bike shop in your area!

4. smgordo13

smgordo13 New Member

Welcome to the Forums!

Personally I am partial to Specialized so can't say anything about the Trek or Giant.
    For what you want you may want to check out the Specialized Ariel as well though. Same price range.
    Try out a few different bikes. You will know when you get the rioght one. It's all about the fit and how you feel on it.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Welcome to TwoSpoke!

6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Great to have you here! I had a similar question trying to help my sister decide on a bike. She still hasn't, but will soon, so if you can offer any input once you decide on your bike, I'd appreciate. Here's the members' suggestions from my thread:

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/question-ladies-4138/

7. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Hi,

After an extended time away from cycling, I got back into it on a 2004 Cypress DX. It has been a great bike for pavement, gravel roads, and crushed stone trails ,like the Katy ... all the surfaces you mentioned.

After 4 or 5 years, as my wife and I started taking longer bike trips and wanted to carry more gear, I bought a bike designed specifically for touring, but the Cypress DX still gets plenty of use for shopping and other errands.

It will certainly do the things you say you want it to

8. hpmarie86

hpmarie86 New Member

Thank you for all the responses everyone! I ended up buying the Giant Cypress DX 2010. I really felt like the comfortable seat was worth it, and how it is suppose to with stand some gravel roads, crushed stone, as well as paved roads. I am excited to get started in my bike riding adventures. I am trying to come up with places to ride to just to make use of my bike. Not always practical where I live. .LOL:p

9. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Congratulations on the new bike!

10. smgordo13

smgordo13 New Member

Congrats on the new bike. Enjoy it!

Check on Google for your area and bike riding. They should have some info for you on where to go. I had no idea about all the riding paths, parks, trails etc in my area.