New Here with new idea

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Seahunt56, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Seahunt56

Seahunt56 50's Unicycle Rider

Hi everyone,
    I am a unicycle rider from way back in the 70's. I have an old Schwinn 24 inch. I have this idea for a fat tire unicycle using a sport bike rear tire and wheel. Has anyone seen anything like this? Would just be for crusin around the neighborhood and lookin cool. Any ideas or feedback would be appreciated. Steve

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I just wanted to say "welcome" Seahunt. Sorry, but I can't help with your uni question, though. Hopefully someone here, maybe Unigeezer, can. Good to have ya!

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Why not? Ask Unigeezer.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Industry, sober and the fire's out already? ;)

5. Industry_Hack

Four words for you, sir: Bow chicka wow wow :)

6. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

There is a seperate uni forum is there not?

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

There is and it's awesome. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one ignoring family this morning.

8. Industry_Hack

MY girl is still asleep. See post #5.

9. unigeezer

unigeezer Over 50 and not '2' tired

I am also a uni-rider from way back...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3h6mqcGwG8"]here I am in the mid '60s![/ame] I too had a classic Chicago Scwhinn 24" with the blade forks (still have it!) and before I bought my first real mountain uni i also put a wider tire on it to try offroad. But they are way heavy and bulky, and not really the greatest quality.

At least the really old ones. I'd get something modern, and torker makes a decent 24. Two models; the LX which is mid-level but decent quality, and their best is the DX. Very strong and isis type hub and cranks.

Here's what I use today: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3p2dF23PBc]YouTube - Extreme Unicycling: "It's all downhill from here!"[/ame]

10. Seahunt56

My idea is to use a motor cycle rear tire from a sport bike. Watching a couple now on Ebay. I know it will have some weight to it, but who cares! I think it will be very different and sure will give me a work out which I need. I think the tire will be somewhere around 7 or 8 inch wide. Just some crazy thoughts.

11. Seahunt56

Well it's me again. Does not seem like much going on here. I got my sport bike tire the other day and thought I would share it with you all. Comments are welcome, just not negative ones. LOL

Attached Files:

12. Seahunt56

Here is the latest picture of my ride to date. Just mocked up and not able to ride it quite yet.

Attached Files:

13. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Sweet, now we need to see you crashing in the yard on it. At least trying to crash in the yard make sure you video tape it and repeat it and record it from a lot of angles. Unigeezer won't crash real good for us so we need someone else to do it.:D

Why did you paint it yellow. The bare steel fork and black wheel would have looked sort of rat rod looking.

14. Seahunt56

Funny thing, I had a dream last night that I was going down the street and could not stop. (our street is flat) Hit a grassy spot and went about 20 feet in the air, hit the ground in a roll and was fine.
    I have always liked yellow. The frame is in primer now and I think It will be eithor flat black or black with yellow splatter. Not sure yet.

15. choadne

choadne Guest

[​IMG] here is surly's conundrum with their 4 inch wide tire