Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
JohnnieDorman
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the one and only lightweight metallic valve stem cap/cover that totally covers, protects, and beautifies the entire inner-tube valve stem. You can find it at "ZiggyboyBullet.com."

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Those are nice for Shrader valve stems. I didn't see one for presta valves unless you use an adapter, but that would make the bottom of the valve cover wobble.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a design project class for my engineering masters right now and I came up with a "handle bar stablizer" which is basically like a u-shaped aero bar that points towards the rider so a beginner could ride one handed, sitting upright (while signaling cars, drinking or adjusting gear, etc) and keep their hand directly over the center of the handle bars. I doubt anybody would buy this in reality but I really wanted to make a cycling product to have an excuse to ride to class for the presentations to show off my prototype. Interested to hear ppls comments on this....Thx.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I have a design project class for my engineering masters right now and I came up with a "handle bar stablizer" which is basically like a u-shaped aero bar that points towards the rider so a beginner could ride one handed, sitting upright (while signaling cars, drinking or adjusting gear, etc) and keep their hand directly over the center of the handle bars. I doubt anybody would buy this in reality but I really wanted to make a cycling product to have an excuse to ride to class for the presentations to show off my prototype. Interested to hear ppls comments on this....Thx.
Sounds dangerous.

·
Two skinny J's
21,443 Posts
Pictures would be nice :D

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Pictures or drawings of the prototype would help form opinions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Forget the aero bar reference. What I mean is a clamp on handle that attaches to either side of the pivot point and is a little wider than the width of a large males hand. This allows the rider to place his or her hand directly over the pivot point...thus making it safer to sit more upright and perform tasks required while cycling. It would only be maybe three inches or so tall and would be wrapped with handle bar tape.

I realize this is not an award winner....but the point of the class is the process of simple design thru prototype. I do want to make sure it is not totally ridiculous tho.

I am hoping to make a prototype soon and I will post pics.

PS...sorry for thread-jacking

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hear you. It is not meant to steer though. Just stabilize while performing a one handed task while maintaining a straight line.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe I could make the bar wider then. Holding the outside with only one hand would be less stable if you hit a rough road patch I would think.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
We need Xela and his engineering skillz to explain why that's a bad idea. Basically, I think it's something like one degree of movement from that angle moves the bars in either direction far more than one degree of movement from the outside of the bars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That is the feedback I was hoping for. This is my second masters degree, but I am a manufacturing process engineer...not a mechincal guy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
And everything I've read says to shift your hand toward the center of the bar while going one handed to do anything with your freehand. That does provide stability, but since you are not directly above the pivot point, then it is much less stable than this, according to what I've read and learned through our experiments so far.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For example..." Another tip from the pros makes your bike more stable when drinking from your water bottle or taking an on-the-bike photo. Before you reach for your bottle or grab your camera out of your jersey pocket, move your other hand as close to the stem as possible and grab the handlebars there. Moving the contact point toward the center of your handlebars gives you more control over steering the bike and helps you maintain control should you hit a bump or other irregularity in the road."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts