New Job, New Bike Commute

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by kegoguinness, Dec 15, 2009.

1. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

in 2008-June 2009, I was commuting by Metro Rail and bike from NW DC to Gaithersburg, MD. Depending on where I entered/exited Metro Rail, it was a 9-16 mile r/t biking portion.

Well after 6 months jobless, I am back to work, and have successfully figured my new multi-mode commute and completed it a couple of times. I now do: bike--->Metro Rail--->Metro Bus---->bike to office. At its shortest, the biking portion is a mere 3-4 miles round trip. Not much on miles. This can be increased depending on which Metro Rail stop I use.

But here's the joy: twenty-three minutes on the rail to read and relax. Another 15 minutes on the bus to read and relax some more. A little jolt of pedaling to wake me up and get the creative juices flowing for work. On Friday afternoon, anyone who lives here in the DC area will tell you it's murder on the roads. I spent a little over an hour getting home driving last Friday. The multi-mode commute is just under an hour, literally door-to-door. On Fridays I would actually get home faster by bike, despite the distance of the commute. The rest of the week I turn roughly 45 minutes of driving into 1 hour multi-modal commute, and am sooo much more relaxed. That's 15 minutes well spent in my book.

My overall point is this: there are ways to make a commute work even when it seems you are traveling out to the far 'burbs. The bus I ride is an express bus. Use the resources at your disposal, ask around, and you might find a great way to get to and from work that doesn't use the car, or uses it less or less often! Happy riding!

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Very cool. For me making the switch from driving to riding to work has made a significant difference in my work performance. I look forward to that ride each morning.

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Glad to hear that you've worked out your commute. I live in Laurel, MD halfway between DC and B-more. I too have been unemployed since I moved here in June (wife got a job here after finishing school) I think January will be my month though.

Any chance you are going to the WABA X-mas Party on Thursday night? I'll be there but I think I'm walking there since Metro won't allow bikes during the hours I'd be riding.

4. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

More proof that cars can be largely superfluous. I LOVE IT!

5. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

WABA xmas party

I will not be attending the party. By the way, what's your line of work? Any chance it's telecom or I.T? If so, let me know. I know of one or two positions open. Cheers---Steve G

6. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Getting to relax on a commute is the only reason I like taking the Bus. We have a Metro Rail here now but I don't have any stops that would help me out. Do they have accommodations for cycles on the metro rail?

7. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

I tried to incorporate th Bus in my commute and it made it from fifteen in the car to almost an hour. You must be in a commuter friendly town.

8. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

I'm also about to begin a new bike commute. My current job is 7 miles from home. I'm moving to a new location and will be putting in 16 miles each way after the holidays. I hope I'm up to it.

9. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

@ Farnsworth: Metro in DC does not allow bikes during morning (7-10am) and evening (4-7:00pm) rush hours, except for folding bikes, which is what I use. You are supposed to fold and cover your bike and use only the end doors of any Metro car, not the middle doors.

10. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I'm very jealous. Not only do I drive TO work but I have to drive FOR work. I put about 60,000 miles a year on my car.