Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I bought the first bike I've owned in roughly 30 years. Drove to Orlando and back and picked up a CHERRY '83 Trek 400 that's had the mechanicals refurbed... new chain, cables, tubes, tires, & bar wrap... bearings repacked, wheels trued, etc. The bike looks like it was ridden for a month and put up since then, it's so clean.

The original components are okay, not great:

SR Super Custom polished alloy crank
Simples derailleurs (Specs called for Shimano but this is what Trek used in '83 and '84 on their 400 and 500 series, I understand)
Weinmamm rims
Mallard hubs

Seller put new 27" x 1-1/4" Serfas Seca FRS tires on it (I'm a big boy, was 253 this morning :eek: )

Took it on my first shakedown cruise this afternoon, a leisurely 5 mile jaunt through our neighborhood. Seat needs adjusting - gotta pull it back some and rock it forward just a tad - but it was cool to feel all of the old bike muscles come alive again, after sooooooo long. :D

I've got some tweaks I wanna make - a Brooks saddle (I think), perhaps wider handlebars (they're 42cm center to center now) and I'm pretty sure I want to move the shift levers closer. It's a long stretch to where they are on the downtube when you're 6'-2"!

Glad to find the forum... hope to be around for a long time to come.

Gary
Albany, GA

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Welcome doood! Sorry don't know where that came from :) Glad you found us here!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Welcome...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ditto on the welcome,

Get in here and share your experiences/questions

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
Awesome bike! I love the bar tape. Keep that if you can.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cool. I used to own a 1985 Trek 300 for about 10 years. I wish I still had it. Steel is real!

Welcome to the site, jump on in, the water's fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome bike! I love the bar tape. Keep that if you can.
It's new bar tape but has the vintage look. I thought it was cheesy looking at first but it's starting to grow on me. Ultimately I hope to have a brown/tan seat and bar tape to match.

I rode 6 miles on Sunday, my first day with the bike. My sit bones were SORE yesterday so I paid attention and only rode 2 miles. Today I'm not feeling them so I hope that's a good sign. I want to get my buttocks "broken in" but don't want to walk sideways, either. :)

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Gary

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
I want to get my buttocks "broken in" but don't want to walk sideways, either.
Yeah, that's the worst part. It'll take a few weeks to wear off completely. Take it slow and build up your miles gradually. This is supposed to be fun, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts