Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
What frame size though?

There was a company, can't remember who, measured a size 45 or 47 frame without disclaiming that. The "typical" frame sizes were significantly heavier.

I'm not hung up on frame weight at all, but it is impressive when you think about what some of these frames (and complete bikes) weight compared to, what 5-10-20 years ago?

I have to say (and I am in the far minority here) that I like aluminum and titanium. What I would do to get my hands on a Moots, Litespeed or Lynskey.

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mee too! I've pretty much decided next frame will be ti. And yes I could poo before I ride and make much more weight difference to worry about grams in wheels and group sets :D

But yes, that is still impressive to me!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Interestingly enough, if you remember I damaged a wheel last week on my commute?

Decided I didn't want to use my nice, low-spoke count wheels on my commute with the road bike so I swapped them out. My wife has a 2011 Trek Lexa S road bike that she rode once, crashed and won't ride again. It also has 700x23c tires/wheels so the swap was easy, except she has a 9 speed Tiagra set while I run a 10 speed 105.

Anyhoo. . . .

Her bike came with some Bontrager bazillion spoke wheels. There actually is a noticeable difference in acceleration, hill climbing etc! Even lifting my bike, you can tell it is significantly heavier! I thought it was all bike mag B.S. about wheel weight, you know? However, they are MUCH stiffer on the road. I could feel my wheels flex a little as I rode as I carry a 35lb pack on my back. The stiffer ride felt more reassuring, wasn't so worried about breaking spokes. It's shod with bottom of the barrel tires, no puncture protection or anything so that may have to be changed as well.

Do miss the 10th cog though. . .

I'll just swap the wheels back and forth as I need them.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Expect to shell out some serious bucks for that frame and complete build. I was reading an article of a company that actually has a sub 10 pound bike with Di2 that isn't race legal because of its weight. Cost of $20,000.00 for the built bike.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
kneedrachen said:
made of unobtanium?

Less than 10lbs with Di2, that is some engineering marvel right there!
One day when I am rich and need a bike to make me look cool to engineers.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts