New member in GA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Louie4, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

My buddy has got me into mountain biking and I have been riding several times. He actually sold me his old Trek 4500. It's not too bad for a beginner. I'm still trying to find local trails around here. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Welcome, Louie! We look forward to hearing from you.

3. synack

synack The Back Row

I would suggest the Alpharetta greenway since it has 3 mountain bike trails but you're pretty far south of the city. (I haven't ridden them but I know they exist.)

Btw, Welcome!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

Welcome to the forum!.

5. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Welcome Louie!

6. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

I don't mind traveling to get to some good trails. A couple weekends ago I went to Chicopee in Gainesville and I've also rode at Fort Yargo in Winder and Heritage Park in Farmington. So I'm usually up for suggestions. Thanks for the reply's guys.

7. synack

synack The Back Row

I can't speak for the quality of the trails but I'll ask the drummer in our blues band. He is more of a mtn. bike guy.

8. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

Thanks. I am bringing my bike to Athens this weekend and thought about going to Fort Yargo but I don't think the weather will be any good.

9. synack

synack The Back Row

Yea, the weather looks bad! I was planning a ride myself.

10. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have an older 4500 and I love it. It has served me well over the years. Welcome to the forum.

11. Louie4

Louie4 Injanir

I like it so far. I got new pedals because he took his old ones and put the plastic ones on. The only other thing I've gotten for it is a cheap water bottle mount. I didn't want to spend the money on a camel pack just yet because of weather and I won't use as much until it gets warmer.

Oh, and I got a Saris Bones truck rack. For the price it's pretty solid.

12. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

As long as it works safely, I say your set. As you get more comfortable riding, you will find little things you want to improve, like shifting and breaking, etc...From there it becomes worth putting either good money on upgrades or on a new bike because you will quickly realize you will get your moneys worth. Its always sad to see someone run out and spend good money on their first bike, only to find out they don't like it and never ride it again. But then again, its those guys that put their sweet rides on Ebay and Craigslist for dirt cheap, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

13. Quanah

Quanah Guest

Hello, from one newby to another!