Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All-
Just joined the forum and posted in the newcomers forum, thought I'd also introduce myself here, as I seem to have become a Hybrid fan. I'm 63, and some years ago, my wife and I bought mountain bikes- and never rode them. We've decided to break them out and start riding. I've got a replaced knee and a few extra pounds that I could stand to shed. My bike's an Ibex Alpine 450, and it's quite darty/twitchy on the street, which is where all my riding will be. Also feels a bit heavy. We're wanting to ride quiet back streets, etc., not main roads in traffic.
Anyway, I rode a Trek FX 7.4 at a lbs a few weeks ago and loved it. Felt appreciably lighter and faster. That started me looking at hybrids, and I found Nashbar's closeout offer on 2010 Absolute 1's- for $599 + $25 shipping. I simply couldn't turn it down. I know it violates the rule of never buying a bike you can't ride first- and I agree that's a smart rule, but here in NE Florida there ARE no high end hybrids in stores to ride. I checked. But at that price, with Shimano 105 components, I don't think I can go too wrong.
Anyway, I'm anxious to get it- great riding weather right now- nice and cool!
Wes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up in the air... or I thought I was... until I answered..!

I'm kind of up in the air about that- I assembled my Ibex, and I'm very mechanically adept- but I still think that it'd be worth it to get my LBS to assemble and adjust it right from the beginning- instead of the "playing around" with it that I'd have to do. I got such a good price on the bike it'd be worth putting a bit of the savings towards getting it right the first time, I believe.
Besides, my one particular LBS I've taken a shine to has a really good owner- has been very honest with me, in fact told me that I should buy this... that he couldn't touch anything like it for less than twice the price. That's the kind of guy I want to establish a relationship with, even if I do most of the work on my bikes myself.
Wes

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm glad I could help you come to a decision. :D Probably you could do it yourself with help from the internet, but much easier to pay a pro, and they can do it better. Sounds like a good shop is accessible, so I'd go that way, too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Latest update from Nashbar/Fedex- my Fuji will arrive tomorrow!!
Calling my LBS to set up an appointment to take it to them to assemble...
Wes

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Excellent. Sounds like you might be riding it by the weekend!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
You are going to love that bike, the 105s are a realy nice setup the bike handls real good allso. I have over 4,000 miles on mine it is the same as yours but mine has disc brakes. I cant rember what year it is 9,or 10, thay only offered disc brakes one year I think thay add weight to the bike and did not go over big I guess

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts