Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY new to cycling, and I am looking to purchase my first road bike. I have a few options...just looking for suggestions and direction.
I was looking at a lightly used Litespeed. It's a few years old but in excellent condition and has quality components on it; it's selling for $500. It looks like a great bike and fits me perfect, but I am a little hesitant to buy a used bike.
On the other hand, I am also looking at new bikes...maybe a cross bike...
Any suggestions? I want to keep my total cost under $2000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whatever feels right to you and you feel comfortable with : D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would go to a few local bike shops as well. The benefit would be that you would generally get things like free adjustments, warranty etc. Ideally, a few shops that aren't too far away that sell different brands, so that you can try a Trek, a Cannondale, Specialized, Giant etc. Bikes across different brands have different geometrys. For that price you can get a really nice road bike, though remember some of the addons (water bottle/holder, pumps, helmet, spare tube etc.) Some shops give you a discount on accessories when you buy a bike.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
nothing wrong with a used bike, as long as is solid and in good repair. Gets you into the activity of cycling at a lower cost. Then if you find this isn't the activity for you, you aren't out $2k on a new bike. Even if you have some minor repairs/tune up to be done you are still on the low end cost-wise.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
if it is your size.... which you said it was grab the litespeed! at $500 you can't lose. if you love being on a road bike then you can later decide the exact new bike to get and get it. by later i mean a few years. or heck just ride the litespeed.
new bikes are cool but sometimes you can get more bang going used.
for $2000 you can get a great bike but many of the litespeed frames are $2000 or more. if it is ti that is a great deal if it is carbon that is a great deal....

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I baught a used Cannondale Quick 6 for $200, it was 2 months old . I got it to see if I wanter a Hybrid. That bike I call my Time X it just keeps on going, it is the one I use when it is raining, if some one wants to ride it is there. I will never get rid of that bike, I don't ride it much but it is allways ready. I would say for $500, look it over good, ride it, and bring it home a $500 litespeed is a steel if it is in good shape.
my.02

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
A Lightspeed at $500 that fits like a glove and is in good shape is a deal, and nobody will believe you when you tell them what you paid. Like sprocketgirl said, if it's Titanium the frame alone probably cost 2K new.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Sounds too good to be true. Why are you delaying your purchase? Is it ... PINK! :eek:

The bragging rights alone are alluring.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I 5th the motion. Go with the Litespeed. Besides, if for some reason you don't get into cycling like you plan then you won't have a $2,000 piece of garage art, only a $500 one. Plus $500 is only about $200 more then a top priced Walmart Bike! Get the Litespeed.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
Do you know this person selling the litespeed? What model is it and what parts does it have? I'd be interested to hear more about this before I told you to buy it, but that's just me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts