New Pump

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Just picked up a new floor pump after my Air Tower 5 crapped out on me at lunch. I know it's warranteed, but I have been disappointed with it ever since I had to replace the head on it a few months ago.

So, I searched for a new pump. I thought I was going to get a Silca, but two of the local shops recommended Lezyne. They said they are a great made pump and are quite similar to Silcas. They said they've been using them in the shop, and one shop packs them for race support. I decided to go with the one on the link below. I just tested it in the store, but I did like it. It screws on the stem (like the Silcas) instead of clamping on. The craftmanship is very nice. Not the fastest pump to get 120 psi in with, but I really liked how well it sealed to the stem and the fact that there is no chance of bending the tip of the presta valve which would happen fairly easily with the Blackburn. Plus, it looks like a fairly simple design, which means rebuildable and less to break.

I'll write a further update as I use it more, but if anyone's looking, this is one to consider. I had never heard of them until today.

Lezyne_floorpump

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

So what's the difference between that and a Silca?

I think it was Nashbar that was practically giving away Silca pumps a few years ago for something like $10. I bought 5, and still have a couple floating around, but they last forever. Torelli hooked me up with a new head. And I keep a decent generic pump with a gauge in the driveway, for the neighborhood kids.

3. Xela

I don't think there is a big difference. Both look to be high quality pumps made to last. Lezyne does have this ultra-cool all CNC'd pump, but it's $100 bucks. With that as the exception, it seems like when compared to prices of new Silcas, Lezynes are a little cheaper. But like you said, there are so many Silcas out there, you can usually find a smokin' deal.

Also, it looks like Lezyne is one of those companies like Fyxation. A smallish company that really takes pride in their work, because they love what they do.

4. Industry_Hack

That's kinda what I thought. And thanks for the acknowledgment of that other post.

5. Xela

Sure, man! I wish I could get some roadie rubber in some of those colors.

6. Industry_Hack

I'm trying to put together a fixie project. Fyxation is high on my list for that.

7. Xela

You know, I once thought I had absolutely no need or desire for a fixed speed, but after joining TwoSpoke, I'm seriously reconsidering. Doesn't hurt that one of the mechanics at my favorite LBS just built up this one that is just gorgeous in its simplicity (even with the green frame and pink tire combo he chose).

8. Industry_Hack

That would be mild compared to what I have in mind.

9. Biker

Biker New Member

What's the benefit to screw over clamp?

10. Industry_Hack

Ever tried to clamp your partner? :D

Seriously though. It's a better, more secure interface. Less likely to damage your valve, and probably handles pressure better too.