New real road bike... 6.5 mile shake down ride

Discussion in 'Trail & Ride Reports' started by Brantel, May 25, 2016.

1. Brantel

Brantel Newbie Road Cyclist

Took the new Fuji Sportif 1.3 out for a 6.5 mile shake down ride this evening.

No issues!

[​IMG]

My new Garmin Edge 520 has not arrived yet so the Forerunner 235 will have to do!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1184285586

First impressions:
    • Its been a loooong time since I was on a bike.
    • The bike is awesome! The 105 group set is smooth!
    • I am not used to being in public in spandex type underwear only so for now I will keep those covered with running shorts....:eek:
    • My hands went numb in 10 minutes!
    • Biking uses muscles that don't get used much in running!
    • My bum hurts!
    • This is gonna be challenging but fun!

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

Feels good to get out and ride tho, right?

3. Brantel

Yes but this was also a family outing with the wife and 3 kids so I did not get to really stretch her legs.

The ride felt great!

4. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Road bikes are quite different than other bikes. It will take some time for your body to get used to the different hand position, the narrow saddle and the body position. You may want to consider having a bike fit done, which will help with all the issues you are having. As for being seen in spandex, just do it. Trust me, no one will notice or care.

5. rushlake

rushlake Member Tavern Member

I don't know what's going on but I agree with John again. :D
    I had a bike fit done about 3 weeks ago other than the usual wow is that great. I was looking at the screen when doing my warm up, checking out all the data. After the fit I then pedaled for awhile again while Lyle looked everything over. And he said check out your wattage output now. Big difference, a fit pays.:love:

6. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

lol, I remember starting to ride and saying I would NEVER be seen in public like that. No offense Brantel, but gym shorts just look silly on a road bike :D BUT whatever it takes to get out and ride!

7. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

Funny thing, you'll get used to the thin saddle a well. It's the sit bones that are doing their job. They'll get acclimated to you sitting on them. UNLESS, the saddle isn't set proper. I agree with all: get it fitted to you. Also, as an old runner who tried running again a few years so, YES! you do use different muscle groups, but as for training , try the running regimens to biking, once you "get it in gear", and feel like you're ready to up the workouts.
    Thanks for the info. Also, Strava, if you want! Try that site,too. It records your ride, and the Garmin will link to it..if you set it to sync with it.

8. Brantel

Have had my Garmin Connect account synced with Strava for a couple years now. All of my runs and future rides are/will be on there. I am "Brian Chesteen" on there...

9. rushlake

rushlake Member Tavern Member

^ No you're "half the man" Brian Chesteen was.:thumbsup::D

10. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

I wear running shorts over my kit probably 40% of the time. It will shock most to hear that as much as I ride. Just prefer having something on over riding shorts sometimes. When really gonna hammer then I ditch the running shorts of course. But I also ride in a t-shirt from time to time and not even a jersey.

Good job on getting out there and spinning!
    The hands going numb thing could be from locking your elbows. Ride with your arms relaxed but tucked in (no elbows petruding past shoulders). Most likely though they went numb from having your weight on them which could be a bike adjustment thing. I would guess it has more to do with not having ridden a lot yet and therefore not positioning your weight on your legs and bum.

Hard to explain but when riding there is little weight on the hands, they could be removed from the bars and nothing change is the ideal situation.

Anyways I would not stress over it. Just keep riding and you will then know what needs thought about. Or positioning changes to the bike fit.

Really nice looking bike.

11. lectrichead

lectrichead Active Member

Congrats on the new bike, lots of good advice here (especially getting your bike fitted professionally - at the very least bare minimum get on one of those bike fitting websites and go through it and have someone help you do the general measurements and adjustments and maybe help to hold you up when things are being adjusted and such).

About the biking shorts...I've been biking probably 40+ years now and there was a time many years ago when I said I was not going to be seen in biking-specific clothes, especially the shorts.

But after awhile I came to realize that it was much more comfortable and efficient and I think you slowly grow a "who cares" attitude because of that.

And I think some of the younger guys who grew up wearing them on their bikes don't realize what it is to transition into them sometimes.

I rode in regular shorts over my biking shorts for quite a while way back then - you'll also find that you don't slip around as much on the seat when you get rid of the shorts over your biking shorts.

I can still remember that it was actually very liberating and comfortable the first time I rode in just my bike shorts.

12. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

ah, the first signs of the "addiction"

13. Brantel

[​IMG]

Yep, that is the same person! :p

14. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

Way to go !

15. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

That's awesome.

BTW - we probably all had a little initial embarrassment when we went with the full Lycra kit. As Nike says, just do it. You will look back and wonder how you ever rode with anything else.

On another thread I mentioned you know you are a cyclist when you think nothing of running into the grocery store to pick up something in full kit. It'll happen one day :)

Good luck with the new bike. All good advice on previous posts. You're body will get more acclimated. As a buddy of mine likes to say, we just need more tits (time in the saddle) :D

Sorry - hope I don't have to go to my room now ;)

16. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I wear bike shorts for the padding and wear some pearl izumi mtb baggies with the "webbing" cut out of them where they are just lycra looser cover thing that look like shorts. They are also thicker lycra. As far as t-shirts, as in cotton, no way. Jersey, nah. I have been wearing either long or short sleeve rash guard shirts made for water sports. I buy them big enough to fit like a jersey instead of tight like you would want in the water. They have 50 SPF and are very good at keeping you cool/dry. They dry quickly from rain or sweat, don't stain from sweat or mud. I don't need or use rear pockets on jerseys so I don't miss those. They are also cheaper than most jerseys.

OP, congrats on the weight loss and on your new addiction.

17. DnvrFox

DnvrFox Still learning . . . Tavern Member

If I at 76.5 and my wife at 78.5 yo can wear Lycra pants and jerseys, so can you. And, yes, when you go into a grocery store with your Lycra on and don't think a thing about it, you are truly a BICYCLIST!! Also, here in Colorado many, many folks ride bicycles and correspondingly Lycra.

18. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

Awesome, Brian! Join the TwoSpoke Strava club and TwoSpoke National Bike Challenge team!

I rarely ride with the spandex shorts only. Triple century in jeans. No big deal. Yes to padded underwear and chamois cream on the long rides. ;)

19. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

That was quick!

20. Brantel

Done and done. I have already earned 54 points for the Team!