Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been riding a month, so I have zero bike maintenance/trouble-shooting skills.

I am hearing a clicking sound I never used to hear. It happens when my right foot gets close to the bottom of the push. It is a light click- nothing sounds like it's breaking or really bad. However, it used to be silent when I rode.

Is this normal or does something need adjusting?

Thanks,
Jennifer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check that the pedal has no play in the bearing, the crank arm is tight to the bottom bracket and that the bottom bracket spins smooth with no side to side play. I had something like that happen. Turned out to be the bearing in the pedal.

If all else fails, your LBS should be able to find it.

·
Helmet up, wheels down.
45 Posts
I'm with Industry Hack - SIDI and other manufacturers have a plastic tab that hangs off the inside of the buckle and can catch the crank arm and click back against the shoe. May not be it but it is worth checking EVERYTHING ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I know nothing about bearings and I am still in regular sneakers. I can only afford small upgrades at a time. Clipless pedals are on the wishlist.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Allso check that the watter bottle holders are tight, some times the screws vibrate lose

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Not much to go on here. Does it happen in all gears, at all speeds? What kind of bike? Look at both feet (well, one at a time) when it happens. Anything making contact with the frame or crank arm at some point?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also, you've had it a month. Most LBS do a break-in "tune up" after 30 days/100 miles. If you can't figure out what it is, take it to the LBS you got it from (if you did), and have them tighten up everything that may have stretched and settled since you bought it.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clicking that is synchronous with pedal rotation is one of the hardest things to diagnose. Often it seems to originate in the cranks, and after tons of work is found to be from the saddler rails or something similarly unrelated to the cranks.

Since you're a new rider on a new bike(?), I'm surprised nobody mentioned the possibility of a loose crank/spindle bolt. This is probably the most common source of this kind of sound, and needs to be attended to as soon as possible, because it signals a condition that gets worse with use.

If it's a new bike, bring it in to be checked, which should be free, at your first opportunity.

Given the timing of the click it might also be the normal sound of the shift gate in your chainring coming around to the top and engaging the chain. Put your cranks into the position where you hear the click and look carefully at the section of chainring just engaging the chain at 11 o'clock. If you see the gate (cut down tooth) there, that might be what your hearing. Good chain lube masks this sound, but on some bikes it only goes away after a decent break-in interval.

In any case, if you're due for the free 30 day check, take advantage of it, and be sure to mention every strange thing because you don't know what may be important.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought it used from a friend in a bike club. The former owner was upgrading. I am putting on clipless pedals this week so maybe I can have him try and diagnose for me.

Thanks for the advice!
JKG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts