New road bike brakes (FSA or Tektro)

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by stdu007, Jan 23, 2010.

1. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

hi every one i need to upgrade my road brake set ... and i'm looking these 2 set so witch one are you recommande ... and why

1-fsa energy
    [​IMG]

2-tektro r740
    [​IMG]

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Unless you're a really big guy, either will work fine. Throw some Kool-Stops on them, and you're set. As a matter of fact, unless your brakes are really old/crappy, the salmon pads are the best upgrade you can get for the money.

Answer # two: If you want bling, go with FSA, but there is nothing wrong with Tektro's better offerings. The R530's come on $2k Cervelo bikes.

3. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

thank's hack ... i got some rust on the tension spring and clamp bolt ... so that why i want to upgrade ... but i don t want to spend lot of money .... found so tektro r740 on ebay for 50$

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

5. pcrx

pcrx Recumbent Rider

Kool-stop pads are great and a must if your new brakes don't come with them.

6. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I will ditto the Kool-stop plug. I might also put in a good word for my favorite brake... The Dura Ace 7403... it came with the 8speed gruppo. I have tried many brakes including campy and tektro and later incarnations of DA but I like this model the best. They weigh a few grams more than the current models but when it comes to brakes you want something you can count on. The caliper arms are sturdy and stiff and the ball bearings give a really smooth response. Once in a while you can find a pair in good shape or even NOS on ebay, don't hesitate to grab them if you get a chance.

7. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

great thank's

8. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Do grams really matter?

9. chh55

Grams matter if that's part of your hobby... Some folks build bikes with that as a primary consideration. Like stamp collecting, does it matter if it's a 1911 6 cent stamp? Yeah! On the other hand, do grams, or lack thereof, make you go faster? A little but not much!

10. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

That's my issue. It seems like if you want to go faster having a solid brake would be a plus. Are the lighter brakes as effective as the heavier ones?

11. chh55

Lot's of lightweights aren't. Most of them are single pivot also which makes them harder to adjust and keep centered. They end of dragging on the rim sooner or later.

Back to the main issue here, I personally didn't like my Tektros, the arms twisted during heavy braking which made the pads suck into the wheel... this really degraded the modulation and made them feel "grabby".

12. antibard

antibard New Member

i'm using tektro rx40s on my best bike. they look almost identical to the r740s which i think might have replaced them.

they work well, are very light and look great (i prefer the silver version) so i would highly recommend them. the rx40s even came with kool-stop pads.