New road bike for newbe

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by invitro10, Sep 7, 2010.

1. invitro10

invitro10 New Member

New to the forum and found lots of good info.

I presently have an OLD Peugeot from 1979 which is still in pretty good shape. I would like to find a bike for my new found hobby. I started cycling again and am not sure what to look for. I am pretty confused at the selection of bikes on the market and with the price ranges.

I have been going out a few time a week and cycle between 20 and 30 Km at a time. I would like to work up to cycling 3 to 4 time a week. What should I look for and how much should I be looking to spend. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I am thinking you want a road bike,because you are on the road bike forom. So the next is Price range I was down at the Tuckahoe bike shop yesterday he showed me a $15,000 bike I told him about $900 was my limet and I might evean get one of them $600 bikes on line, that allways softens them up on the price:D. After not helping you much, here is my thaught, what is wrong with the Peugeot? A little TLC and you might have the bike you want, A good Steel road bike, many are going back to steel. Befor you get rid of that steele look at the bikes in the vintage form ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010

3. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Make sure it fits. I am dealing with that now. I have had 2 knee problems as a result of bike fit, and after numerous adjustments, I am now fairly close. Trouble is that I have run out of adjustments and I am still too far forward. The seat post is already a 20mm setback so the best I could hope to gain is about an inch or another 25mm or so. That may or may not be enough and cost about a $100 to find out. No one local stocks the seat post. I basically have a bike I can't ride. Good bike, but its not for me.

Take any bike you ride out for a real test ride and try to get them to let you take it for a ride that is of a length of your typical ride. That way you get to see how you fit after you have been on it a few minutes. Still if you like the bike you have, it still works well, it fits you, Id just enjoy it. I wish I still had my old ten speed. That being said, I am headed to the LBS to "get bent". (a bike slang for a recumbent bike to deal with my knee issues)

4. invitro10

invitro10 New Member

Thanks for the advise guys. Maybe you're right. I have knee issues and don't have a problem with my existing bike......other than the gear shifts. What a pain.

Any others advise is appreciated?

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Shifting problems is often just an adjustment. If you aren't mechanically inclined, drop it off at a local bike shop and let them do it for you. Now if its still a problem, then it might be worth the time to find a new bike. Yet if it works and fits you, then just because its old doesn't mean you need a new one.

6. rich88

rich88 New Member

most important issue is of course fit.

Visit bike shops and test ride as many as possible. Educate yourself about frame materials and component groupos.