New Road Bike Tires

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by chh55, Feb 27, 2010.

1. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I have been using Michelin PRO Race2 and 3 for the past few years and have been quite satisfied but there are so many others to choose from. I'm getting ready to mount the wheels for spring even though riding is still a month away. I will be getting new tires and I am itching to try something different. It's gotta be fast but also somewhat flat free. I'm thinking of Veloflex Blacks, anybody out there tried them? I've tried Ultremo's and they felt good but the rubber disintegrated in a few spots. Alot of club members use Continental GP 4000 but I never have tried them. What is everyone using this season?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Well, you'll want to avoid Firestone, or any other brand that will cause you to lose control on the freeway and die in a fiery crash.

3. eaton

eaton New Member

I think mine are Vittoria Rubino Pros. They're pretty inexpensive.

GP 4000s are nice but extremely hard to mount on my rims.

4. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

agree for the vittoria i like mine .... :love:

5. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

I ride GP 4000s's and they aren't too bad on my rims. I noticed a difference in rolling resistance (easily placebo affect ?) anyway - Have about 800 miles on the current ones...no flat/chunks out yet...

6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

7. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

I'll vouch for Continentals. My wife has been riding the Conti Force/Attack which has the black chili and they have been great. I ride Hutchinson Equinox only because they came with the bike, they have been durable. When they wear out I'm going with Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX II in the 320tpi. They beefed them up this past year so they should be extremely comfortable and more durable, especially if you use the michelin latex tube.

8. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Just to update here I went to one of my favorite suppliers on ebay in Switzerland and bought 3 Veloflex Pave tires. I've wanted to try them for a while and the price was geat so I went for it. They will arrive in a couple days. They are really light at 185 grams but as the name suggests they are made to take abuse (pave meaning cobblestones). I will keep you all posted when I try them out. Thanks for the input.