New Stratus XP XXL

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by goldentouch, Mar 26, 2010.

1. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

After riding the trike and liking it I called City Cyclist and said I was ready for the next step. Mike ordered a Stratus XP XXL to fit me. It is in and they are putting it together and getting it ready for my first ride. Hopefully Saturday as I go on vacation the next week and will be out of town.

2. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Looked at some stock pics on Google, looks nice but pics of your's will have to be a must!:) I've tossed around the idea of giving a recumbent a try.

3. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I talked to Mike today and he said it would be ready for me Saturday to see for the first time and ride around. I am cleaning out the garage to be able to put it next to the others. I am as excited as a kid at Christmas.

4. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I went by CC and got to see the Stratus for the first time. WHOW very impressive. I then took it out back and decided to see if I could ride it without make a fool out of myself. No one was back there so a gave a hard push on the right peddle and I was off like a shot. I could believe how easy it was to ride. Everything was so smooth and rolling was not an effort. Now to see if I could turn this thing around without stopping. It just went into the turn without any trouble and rolled through with no effort. I little bigger turning radus than my hybrid but smoother I think. Then I headed for the other end of the alley picking up speed and trying out some of the rougher parts of the drive. Tires and bike did there job I just sat and enjoyed the ride. Now to pay for it and take it back east.

5. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I just finished my first ride at home. I picked a route that was about 8 miles turned out to be 8.5 miles. Starting with my grandson 11 years old and we headed out. We got about 2 miles and he need a break and water. We stopped and I adjusted the seat angle. We got started again and after about 5.1 miles he ran out of gas. Of course we had been in a strong head wind that really slowed things down. I called my daughter to come and pick him up and waited for her. Then I got back on and took off. I noticed that even in the head wind and climbing hills I had no trouble just sit back and relax and spin. I had a 2 mile streach of road about as bad as it gets with holes gravel and steep down hill drop into a rough bridge and sharp corner. No problem keeping the bike under control and a lot easier than I though. I had it in my mind to get off and walk if needed but after I started it was almost smooth. Bike is easy to control and ride around the really rought parts and pot holes.
    Top speed was just over 24 miles an hour. I am just getting use to it and will probably go out alone in the morning to see what I can average and how far I can go. I think right now on level ground I can average 15 MPH without any problems and maybe travel 20 miles or more.
    I know compaired to what most of you are doing that is really slow. But watch out give this old man about 6 months on that Stratus and I will be moving on out. Wonderful bike I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a LWB Recumbent that is easy to ride and fast. I also recommend City Cyclist a top rate bike shop willing to go the extra mile.

6. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Glad to hear you had a good experience with the bike shop and enjoying the new ride!

7. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

Even though City cyclist is 91 miles one way my next bike will also come from them. I have purchased 6 new bikes since the first of the year for myself and family. I have tried several different bike shops and was not always treated as nicely as CC. I wish I had found them first.