Two Spoke Forums banner

new tires??

5K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Sneakers 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many miles the average riders puts on a pair of tires before they need replacing? I was all geared up to go on a 60 mile b-day ride the other day and got less than a mile in and got a flat. When I got back home I looked really thoroughly at my tires and noticed at least 10 little tears on the rear tire... thinking that means I should replace them??

#2 ·
Not really. Unless the casing is damaged tiny tears and cuts in the rubber of a tire are normal. You can close up the larger ones with shoe glue or super glue. The chances of riding and getting a tiny piece of debris caught in the cuts in your tire is slight.

It is a good practice to inspect your tires before you go out for a ride just in case you have a new tear that still has the culprit within it pushing its way in to cause you harm.

#6 ·
When I tried Super Glue, it dried into hard little slivers of glue, with predictable results. Hard sharp little bits in tires cause flats. :mad:
The thing with super glue is the less you use the best it works. When applying the glue dont squeeze the glue from the tube directly on the tire. Give a little squirt onto some scrap paper and use a straight pin to pick up a small amount and place it into the tear.

Shoe glue is flexible and makes a better repair. The thing is to find it locally. I had some years ago and have never been able to find any since.

#7 · (Edited)
Based on my experience, I advise against attempts to repair a cut tire with adhesive of any kind. I don't believe Super Glue will repair the cut and I do believe it will cause a puncture. ShooGoo might not cause a puncture but it is of limited value in this application.

A bicycle tire with a cut that compromises the integrity of the tire will not be improved at all with Super Glue or ShooGoo.

#8 ·
I have 6100 on the front and changed the back at 3500, so I am about due for a front and back. I do use tire liners and ShooGoo on big cuts, I allso look at my tires often to see if I can find any thing that will give me a flat , if I find something I pick it out befor it works its way thrugh. Some times it is a very small cut but if you pick at it you will find some glass, dont get caryed away or you might find a tube ;) I realy like them tire liners, Tufy twos

#9 ·
some pretty good information here... glad I waited on the super glue thing. I'll probably try shoe glue instead just to try it out. If all else fails I'll just order a new pair. I think I only have around 1400 miles on the set of tires I have now so I want to squeeze a little more life out of them. Any suggestions on tire brands for my next pair? I'm not sure if I'm liking the Specialized I have on there now...

#13 ·
700 X 23

Hutchinson Intensive Road - 19 months on my bike 0 flats 3500 miles
Maxxis Fuse Very good luck no longer made I believe the Re-Fuse tire would be just as good
Vredestien Ricorso Road SE another tire no longer available good luck many miles and still rolling on my winter ride.

Most tires today are very good compared to 10 years ago. Keep away from the low end tires and you should be OK.

I buy all my tires discounted online at Biketires direct which has been mentioned earlier and Nashbar. I try to find tires at 50% clearance and spend around 25 to 30 per tire.

I paid 10.99 each for the Ricorso road tires I wish I bought more.

Michelin Dynamic tires were the worst tires I ever owned. If you need practice repairing punctures put a pair of these on your bike.

#14 ·
My Giant Defy came with Kenda Kriterium's and I put 3,100 non-flat miles on them. My Colnago has Conti Ultra Gatorskins 700x25 with just over 3,000 miles on them and no flats with them either. I did change the tires on the Defy with Vittoria Zaffino Pro Slick tires, but haven't ridden on them enough to report on how well the tires are

#18 ·
I was looking into the Contis... heard some good things about them. Have any of you gone tubeless?
My LHT has 7,600 mi on a set of 26 x 1.75 Conti Travel Contacts Several thousand miles have been on gravel roads or crushed stone paths. Had 4 or 5 flats, but two were valve stems that gave out.

#19 ·
Super Glue is no longer a good product due to bumbling morons gluing various body parts together, and a preservative was added to make the shelf life longer which in turn made the glue brittle. I used the stuff for years on tire cuts, even carried it in the saddle bag, but no more.

Gorilla Glue Super Glue is now a better option. Gorilla Glue Super Glue even added liquid rubber to the glue which gives it shear strength something like a cut on a tire would need. Even regular Gorilla Glue will work but it takes longer to dry thus not suitable for a side of the road repair, and it will foam and dry with a bubbly brown hard mess, but it can be scrapped off and whatever you can't get off will be worn off in about 5 miles. Gorilla glue SuperGlue will dry in about 30 seconds, great for on the side of the road repair.

There's another product called Zap Gel found at The Hobby Lobby and other hobby stores might also have it. I have NOT used this stuff yet on a tire, but I heard from a buddy who tried it on a tire and loved it. It's small enough to fit in a saddle bag but it's expensive at $8 or so for a 7oz tube.

Shoo Goo is also great, but the cure time is too long for on the side of the road repair.

#22 · (Edited)
I use a dollar bill boot, but the edges of the folded bill will cause a flat after a few days. It's a temporary solution to get me home.
I have better ways to use a dollar bill! Ok, fine, it does work if there's nothing else available, but that's why you need to be better prepared. With the Park Tire boot on the market who needs to use a dollar bill? And you can cut the Park boot to the size you need just make sure it's about 3 times larger then the hole you're covering. I used a boot once on a tire and rode on that tire for 3 months before the boot came unstuck, but I needed a new tire anyway so it was non issue. Even a discarded candy or powerbar wrapper will work.

Keep in mind the Gorilla Super Glue is only intended to seal small splits in the tire from the outside, a boot is intended to seal small to large splits from the inside. You can combine both which is what I do, but with small splits that don't penetrate all the way through the tire I don't bother with a boot, but putting the glue inside (actually the glue is on the outside of the tire and you fill the split with the glue) the crack keeps something else from hitting a weak area and penetrating the tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.