Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to cycling . I just got my first bike an know very little about it. I was told by the saleman that it is a good starter bike, but you know saleman. My first ? is did I get crooked? The brand is Giant/Revel 2. Is this a good bike for a starter? My plan is to start riding each afternoon, my 1st goal is to get to 40 miles a week then move on up. So far I can do about 8 miles before my butt starts to hurt. I am a 66 years young and just starting a new sport, feel that I will enjoy biking a lot. Thank for any help on my new bike.:):)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. Depending on the type of riding you plan to do, it could be the perfect bike for you to start. First are you riding mostly on roads or trails? Trails and dirt need a wider tire than roads. Looks like a 26 incher so you should be have quite the choice of tires for streets and roads. A narrower tire with higher pressures work much better on roads. A tire that is maybe 1.25 to inch and a half should be much better, but look for tires and tubes that can take the most pressure. The higher the pressure the easier the rolling on the road. Most road bikes have pressures up to or above 100psi so the closer you get to that the better. Its a huge difference.

As far as hurting, make sure you are fitting the bike properly. A proper bike fit helps avoid injury, but a certain amount of saddle adjustment is going to happen. Cycling shorts with a lot of padding helps a lot, and the saddle that came with the bike may not be the saddle you really need for comfort. It also with a little time may be just fine.

Did you get crooked? Well since you are in Bristol let me put it this way. I doubt the salesman would need to say, "I didn't mean to wreck him. I just meant to rattle his cage." It may not be the perfect bike for you, but if it isn't I doubt it was intentional. Now that the old Bristol is back and you can pass without the bump and run, you know. Im old enough to remember Bristol as a 38 degree asphalt track if that tells you anything.

When coming to the flag off 4 on the last lap, and you hit the wall instead of finishing, the odds are pretty high it was intentional. If the driver behind you has the last name Busch, its 100 percent. If its the 77 car, it doesn't have the ability to finish a race with out a crash.

·
173 Posts
Welcome aboard ! Glad to see another "youngster" starting a new sport, too ! I'm 65 &
just started bikes last month. Good people here , helped me along.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well I hope you like being on the bike as mutch as I do. I ride allmost every day, and I ride 10 to 35 miles. You will get the miles if you ride and like it, thay just come. The main thing is enjoy the ride, I get on the bike and go some times a little, some times a little more. last year I started out on a 10 mile ride and desided I wanted to ride 65 miles for my 65 birthday, but I only got 62 as the rear tire blew out, and I was to tired to patch it, but I had fun and I am still haveing fun. I only have bin rideing a cupple of years. O yea this bike thing is edicktive. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey ,Thanks for all the replies, I go so far back that I can recall no track in Bristol,I recall fishing in that creek after school B4 any track.I feel that I will enjoy biking a whole lot. Tomorrow will be my first trip to the Va Creeper Trail, My buddies said the part we will ride is 32 miles round trip, hope my bottom will hold out. Pick up a pair of shorts today,pray they will help. By the way the ? about my tire ,it is 2.10 x 26, I plan to ride mostly off road

1 - 5 of 5 Posts