Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My name is Aaron and new to the whole biking thing. Recently, I signed up for the Tour De Cure for the ADA (the 50 miler). I was asked by a friend to join his team and I have been looking to give something like this a try so I joined. At the time, all I had was a cheap mountain bike (which has been good to me but obviously no good for road biking). So, I went to my LBS (Pro-Bikes) and explained that I was new to this and wanted something that was somewhat inexpensive (im on a tight budget) so I could give it a try and if I liked it, id get something better. I ended up getting a Hybrid (Specialized Globe Vienna). I know its not as fast as a pure road bike but the Tour De Cure isnt a race and figured this might be a good starter. Anyways, they fit the bike and ive gone on a few trips on it. So far I love it. Its very comfortable...but I did wish it had some higher gearing. Anyways, the ride is in about 2 months so i still have some training to do. Its funny because I run marathons but because biking uses different muscles, its taking me a little while to get used to the distances.

Anyways, im definitely looking forward to learning more about it all and hearing from all of you.

·
Jay
35 Posts
Welcome, Aaron. Hybrids are a great place to start. I put over 24,000 miles on a Trek 7700 before I was seduced by a road bike I picked up at a garage sale.

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
Welcome, Aaron. I know what you mean about sport-specific conditioning. When I was in top biking shape (a long time ago) I climbed a 14-er here in Colorado, thinking it would be no big deal. I was so tired and sore when I got done! I'll never take cross-conditioning for granted again. Anyway, smart choice on the bike purchase. If you're not racing, why get a race bike? I should take that advice. Hmmmm. Good luck on your upcoming ride!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Im looking forward to some good rides. Just wish this rain would stop around here so I can train, the stationary bike is no fun...lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nothing wrong with a hybrid. Anything that gets you on a bike is good.

Should you decide you like cycling and want something different, you'll find having more than one bike may work for you. A road bike with different gearing as well as a second bike for commutes or running errands.

Then there's always MTN! :)

Good luck and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sorbut,

I do think ill like it and get a road bike as well. Biking seems to be better on my knees than those long runs on pavement...though I probably wont give up on running totally.

Right now im in the process of accessorizing..lol. Just got some gloves, helmet of course, water bottle and cage. Next up is a computer. I was thinking about going with my iPhone but I doubt the battery would last that long.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ksr5!

And thanks for the info. Definitely would be something to look into.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
cycling is amazing... just sayin'
glad you found us and shared.
i love to run as well but other than endurance as you said they do not help each other out a lot.
let us know how the ride goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks SprocketGirl!

I agree, it is amazing. So far ive enjoyed every min of it :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome to the camp, ski!

Now get on the bikeski, rideski and post pixski

;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Garilia! LOL

I just registered my bike with a pic (though not the best...ill get some better out there soon). Looking forward to talking with everyone here. I could use all the advise I can get..lol :)

·
717 Posts
Born in North Braddock, raised in Penn Hills, know of those places?

BTW I don't miss those hills!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool! Yeah, my wife grew up in Penn Hills so I used to go out there a lot. Since then, her parents moved to Plum and we moved out to Springdale.

LOL, yeah some of the hills are kind of ugly. Im doing most of my training out at North Park.

·
717 Posts
Have you ever eaten at Mohan's, corner of Universal & Saltsburg road? That's the family restaurant, been there since 1962. It's the 3rd longest continuously operated restaurant in Allegheny County. Pretty much grew up in it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts