Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to biking and have a question about what should I get for a good bike to get me started. This past summer I whent on a trip to Mount Snow for the day and whent downhill mountain biking. I found I really like this form of mountain biking. Almost could say I had a natural knack for it. I have decided that I want to get a decent bike to get me started in this sport. I like the idea of full suspension but I will consider a hard tail as they are cheaper.
Here is a bike that I considered getting:

NEW IRON HORSE WARRIOR FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAN BIKE 17" - eBay (item 180432339457 end time Dec-13-09 14:20:03 PST)

Do you guys think this is a good bike to get started with and do some upgrading too?

·
FreerideLife
77 Posts
Hi,
I am new to biking and have a question about what should I get for a good bike to get me started. This past summer I whent on a trip to Mount Snow for the day and whent downhill mountain biking. I found I really like this form of mountain biking. Almost could say I had a natural knack for it. I have decided that I want to get a decent bike to get me started in this sport. I like the idea of full suspension but I will consider a hard tail as they are cheaper.
Here is a bike that I considered getting:

NEW IRON HORSE WARRIOR FULL SUSPENSION MOUNTAN BIKE 17" - eBay (item 180432339457 end time Dec-13-09 14:20:03 PST)

Do you guys think this is a good bike to get started with and do some upgrading too?
Depends on where you live by really. If you have terrain that requires a true dh bike, invest in a real dh bike. If not, invest in a good all mountain bike.

I'd stay away from that iron horse. It will take too much upgrading to get decent.

Look on craigslist. No point in buying a new bike until you know it will be a bike that gets used. NTM you can find some pretty crazy bikes for cheap. DH bikes for 700ish, all mountain for 500. These are bikes worth well over 1500-2000 bucks also.

Shoot me a pm. I'd happily help you out with any dh stuff being well, there is only one or two serious downhillers around here. I can also point you in the direction of an all mountain bike as well being I have had a few that have taken some decent dh runs in their lifetime.

If you can find a used giant ac1 or two those make pretty good all mountain and entry level dh bikes.

Most likely if you rented a bike on the mountain it was very sub par. I have rented a few and really, just left me regretting I didn't bring my own big bike.

Anyways, have a good one. Glad to see someone else around here into dh.

here is a few ideas...
http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANT-AC1-MOUNT...ewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item414ac43e8b
but would need to dump those forks and wheels for some real all mountain ones being the ac was never meant to be an xc bike

a full blown out DH ride... Definitely what I call a "push bike" which is what the typical DH bike really is. You push up, ride down. Not something you are going to ride up to the top of a trail on. Too heavy and waaaay too much suspension travel.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Orange-223-DH-F...ewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item2ea9346f73

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weyless-XP-5-Tr...ewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item3efa54c3f5

·
FreerideLife
77 Posts
Check out Bikes direct if you are looking to do this on line...
It is best to ride before you buy, but for a 50% savings...

I got a really sweet road bike from him and VERY pleased with both the frame quality and the groupo I was able to get.

Save Up To 60% Off with Bikesdirect.com
they don't carry downhill bikes. And as decent as Motobecane has been for road bikes and very entry level xc/leisure bikes, they just won't cut it for the type of riding he said he was interested in.

I'd say cambria bicycle outfitters as well but same ordeal there.

Like said, get a used bike bro. You can get a used bike worth 3 times as much as those new bikes in the link. Only way to go IMO. Its like buying a car. Are you going to drive one new off the lot, or buy a used one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome to Two Spoke Kingjb...some good people around here with good info..if you listen you'll learn a lot

DrB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not looking for a true downhill bike. But I would like something that can handle it every now and then.

eBay

This bike looks like it would be what I want.

·
FreerideLife
77 Posts
So more of an all mountain type bike.

Like said, look at the giant ac 1's, some of the older intenses, etc. There are many used bikes online for a decent price. Search pinkbike.com and craigslist before you go the ebay route. Ebay is called fleabay for a reason, ntm shipping is outrageous in most cases. Ebay is best for building your own bike up rather than buying one complete.

Look at your local CL and see if there is anything there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I just used ebay to bring up an example of a possible choice. I would rather go the CL route but right now there is nothing decent in my price range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts