Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone who is interested, I am a "middle-aged" bicyclist, who has been riding bikes since I can remember.

I would have "upgraded" to automobiles, in adulthood, except that my state passed Mandatory Auto Insurance, without any thought given to LOW-income people.

Still, I have no complaints since my bicycles have helped me to keep my "figure", and control my weight, for decades.

Currently, I am the owner of a Trek coaster bike (my "back-up" bike), and a 21 speed bicycle.

I am no Don Juan, or Rudolf Valentino, but I am me.

I Do wear out bicycles, on a regular basis, especially in Summer, when I ride all over my city. I think I have gone through 5 bikes, in the past ten years.

I dont do stunts, but the streets, in my city, have been in better condition.

Currently, I am adding a new level to my bicycling. As an Asthmatic, I know that I must pace my riding, but, now that I have been found to be (pre), or (borderline) Diabetic, my doctor wants me to exercise even more, to control my weight.

My personal goal is to lose about 10 more pounds, to return to 185 pounds. If I could lose more, all the better.

I am hoping that those, on this site, who are using bicycling as part of your health and fitness regimen will be able to guide me towards more videos, about getting into better shape.

I say VIDEOS since, if anyone else has noticed, health books seem to go on, and on, with all types of fancy words, which I just dont understand. With a video, I might not understand the words, but I can figure out what the visual is talking about.

This is why I am asking for "referrals", to video sources, which will help me to use my bikes, and my diet, to AVOID Diabetes, and get my health back under control.

I hope this isn't too much, for an introduction.

Questions? Feel Free to contact me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I was diabetic while pregnant. I snacked on fruit for my sweet tooth. I also did quite a bit of walking (I didn't have a bike available at the time). Glad you're getting healthier. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Do have a facebook: [email protected]. Please note, however, that Facebook routinely changes my passwords, without telling me. If you contact me, through Facebook, rather than this web-page, be prepared to wait up to two weeks for a reply. If you want to contact me, directly, your best "shot" would be my Yahoo.com address: [email protected].

For now, have a good day.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome to Two Spoke! My wife is asthmatic and has just been diagnosed with diabetes. She will be using her new bike for the same health reasons as you. If we find something, we'll surely share it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information. I will share what information which I find. Question: How many others, besides your wife, and myself, do you think are avid cyclists, despite Asthma, Diabetes, and other "rotten health luck"? I am curious.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I would expect there is more than just you and her. I bet we see other posts on this topic from others on the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts