Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

im new here and this is my first post. lately, ive realized an appreciation for well made bikes and even though i havent got on a bike for a loooong time, i wanna get into it. the last bike i had/rode was a mongoose brand bike from the local sports store and that was when i was 10 years old. so im pretty much a complete noob on bikes. i dont know any terminology that you guys might use and even the different types of bikes out there.

my friend gave me his old fixed gear bike, so ive been given a great opportunity to get started on my newly found bike hobby. all i know is that its a fixed gear (which was converted from a multi-gear bike) and that i wanna fix it up.

so, i plan to get new handlebars, paint the frame, and get a new chain/crankset etc? (dunno what that is, but i was told it might need maintenence).

my first priority is getting handlebars (they are in pretty bad shape). then painting. then other new parts.

so... any of you guys have advice for a novice like me? could be anything, even if its not related to fixing up the bike. is there a specific size handlebar i need to get that will fit the frame? tools i would need? where to get quality parts at a decent price? brands? how to paint? i dunno, im just throwing stuff out there. oh, and im open to used stuff from ebay.

also, if you dont wanna explain everything, directing me to other sources of info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! i dont have the bike right now, but i can get photos in about a week.

keep the friendly advice coming! thank youuuu

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Wow Joel. Nice link. I immediately sent them this:

Hey guys, this is my new bike: http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f137/57-schwinn-wasp-4841/ which is a single speed. I use it for flat terrain, paved road rides especially like that in parade routes. I have been toying with adding some speeds and purchased a redone 2-speed hub for this bike. But part of me wants to go to a three-speed hub.

You guys are the experts, does it make sense to add modern shift elements to the bike or would you really recommend I install the two-speed, kickback hub and leave it at that. I can’t seem to get a reply from the various forums I’m on so I thought I’d ping the guys that really know. Locally, I had the *supposedly best* shop install a NOS phantom rack on this bike and they not only installed it, but put a one inch by ¾ inch scar on the formerly pristine rear fender. Sigh…
I really need to find a friend locally that into this stuff.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Wow, and within minutes I get this response.

Hi Jim,

Beautiful bike. But I'd think the 2 speed coaster brake hub would be the best choice. With a 3 speed, you'll have to run the shift cable back to h-bars. It'll clutter up the design some.

Just our 2cents.

Tom [email protected]

Harris Cyclery
1353 Washington St.
W. Newton, MA 02465

Luv these guys who strike me as fast, frank, and spot on.

·
Til' the wheels fall off
17 Posts
As for painting, it would be best to have the frame sand blasted first. Way easier than sanding by hand.

Also powder coating will give a more durable finish than a rattle can job.

goood luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts