Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just joined yesterday evening. I guess I'm a beginning cyclist. I ride a Schwinn sport suburban upright/comfort bike with a fat seat. :) I've been cycling 12-15 mile rides on very hilly neighborhoods road 4-5 times a week for the last year and a half. It takes me about an hour and 15 minutes to ride this circuit. I've progressed beyond this bike and am in the market for a new one that will help me progress more. I don't race or compete. I ride purely for the enjoyment of being outside and the exercise. I hope to learn more about cycling techniques, sport nutrition, gear and riding apparel for maximum comfort.

Thanks,
Belinda

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Good to have you, Belinda. I think the majority of us here just ride because we love it. Hopefully, we'll have plenty of good information for you. Welcome to TwoSpoke.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Welcome Belinda!

What type of bike are you looking to upgrade into?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure yet. I'm 54 and so used to my upright bike that I'm worried I won't be able to ride well on a regular road bike. I'm going to visit my LBS today for winter gloves so I may test one or two out while I'm there. Do you have any suggestions to ease my way into a road bike?

Regards,
Belina

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
First, welcome to the group! As for your concern about a road bike, my wife had not ridden a bike in a lot of years but wanted to start after I got my road bike. We got her a new road bike and she took off like she knew what she was doing. She really likes the bike and riding. Moral of the story, don't worry, just ride! :p

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I'm not sure yet. I'm 54 and so used to my upright bike that I'm worried I won't be able to ride well on a regular road bike. I'm going to visit my LBS today for winter gloves so I may test one or two out while I'm there. Do you have any suggestions to ease my way into a road bike?

Regards,
Belina
Make sure it fits, and stay away from "racey" bikes. Look for something with a taller headtube, so there is not a lot of drop between the seat and the handlebars. That way, you won't be leaned over as much. The Roubaix's from Specialized are what I'm most familiar with. They have tall headtubes compared to their racier Tarmacs which allow a more upright riding position. What brands does your LBS carry?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You're first good move is going to your LBS to try out different bikes. I'm 48 with a bad back and I have the Specialized Roubaix mentioned above. I was concerned that my back problems might cause me to have to go back to a hybrid but I bought it anyway. At least for me, the Roubaix has been the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

My point in that is, don't just assume the drop bar bikes will be uncomfortable. Once you take one out for a test ride you'll know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi again and thanks for all the encouragement. My price range is about $700 or less. It's way to windy here today to ride (20-35mph with 50mpg gusts) so I didn't do any test riding. I'm in excellent health except for one issue; about 20 years ago someone rear ended my car resulting in my having issues with whiplash. As a consequence, I have trouble looking up for much time without inducing migraines. So, I need to stick with a bike that is still somewhat upright.

I'm kinda leaning toward an Escape 1 and playing with the handlebar height. Does that make sense? The guy at the LBS said they could put me on a trainer and work out what was right for me.

Belinda

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Hi from the Swamps of South Jersey I allso wanted comford over speed I went with a steel framed bike with a short top tube. The road bars let me change to many positions and be comfy, but I do not ride in the drops much. I realy like the touring bike I have rides like a Caddy.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Welcome Tanglebox! I ride road bikes 99.9% of the time but enjoy riding a hybrid with my wife. I bought her a road bike once and she wouldn't even get on it! Somebody on ebay got a very sweet deal:/ So what I'm saying is...if you have the interest you will most likely adapt and overcome and enjoy a road bike!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Welcome!

If I was in your position, I'd skip the drops altogether, and just look for a flat bar road bike with a triple crankset. That will keep you in a comfortable upright position, and you'll have the combination of light weight, smooth rolling 700c tires, and a wide range of gearing for both sides of those hills.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Wasn't familiar with and Escape 1 so Googled it. Don't know much about the Giant bikes, it does look like a nice bike. My hybrid is a Specialized Sirrus Elite. It and the Escape look very similar.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Welcome!

If I was in your position, I'd skip the drops altogether, and just look for a flat bar road bike with a triple crankset. That will keep you in a comfortable upright position, and you'll have the combination of light weight, smooth rolling 700c tires, and a wide range of gearing for both sides of those hills.
+1

Welcome to TwoSpoke, Belinda! I enjoy riding flat bar road bikes and have not experienced any of the problems that "serious" riders have with the flat handlebars. I don't agree that they are unsuitable for longer rides, I've ridden as far as 198 miles in one outing on mine.

I do like barends on my handlebars to allow a change of hand position. If you go with a flat handlebar, you should consider installing a pair. The Giant Escape 1 looks nice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the welcome everyone. :)

I'll take a look at the flatbar bikes. I hadn't really considered one; but then I really don't know much about bikes. I'm still trying to wade my way through all of the bike jargon. :rolleyes: I've really enjoyed reading through some of the topics on the forum. One thing I do know...I really need to change my saddle. I have one of those really fat, padded seats and now that I've been riding, I've built up enough muscle that it's bothering me. It seems to be in the way; too wide I guess. I still want a padded saddle but much narrower than my current one. Oh and I do wear padded cycle short most of the time.

Regards,
Belinda

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks for the welcome everyone. :)

I'll take a look at the flatbar bikes. I hadn't really considered one...
Regards,
Belinda
The Giant you are looking at fits neatly in the flat bar road bike category. Generally, the phrase "flat bar road bike" refers to a hybrid with skinny tires and a rigid fork.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:eek: See what I mean about not knowing the bike jargon. :D I thought flatbar referred to the handlebars. You can all have a good laugh on me. It seems my LBS is pointing me in the right direction with the suggestion of the Giant Escape 1.

Regards,
Belinda

1 - 16 of 16 Posts