Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to buy a new touring bike. I am just about ready to make the purchase. However, I'd like to have a few suggestions. Thus far, all that I know for sure, is that it will be OTS and steel. I'd like for it to have lugs, but that's not absolutely necessary.

You guys have any advice?

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I wanted brifters and disc brakes on my touring bike I allso wanted a triple and at least a 34 gear I went with a Jamis Aurora Elite, I allso wanted 36 spoke wheels but these 32s are doing good so far, I am 235#. I have 1500 miles on it. It is a 2010 as the 2011 does not have a triple.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I have about 5,000 mi on a 2 1/2 year old LHT and my wife has about 1,500 mi on a 1 year old Jamis Aurora. They're both good bikes and good value for the money.

We've used them for credit card touring and other general riding around. Both bikes work great on pavement, crushed stone, and light gravel. If I had to do 50 miles on bad gravel, I'd prefer the LHT because of the wider tires (26x1.75 vs 700x32).

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
i just got a bike for this chose a Vassago Fisticuff. i chose it for its options of brakes... and wheels. 29er mtb or 700cc. disc or canti... gear or ss. mtb gears or road. anyhow just was what appealed to me. by the way i almost got the surly. in the end like Vassago rep better. nothing wrong with surly just my experience and opinion. plus the one i got can go 700 45.. with fenders. not that i will go that large but it is nice to have clearance.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,569 Posts
I've really gotten the touring bug this year. I have the trailer now and it works out well. My Raleigh Clubman would make an OK touring bike but I feel it's too light for panniers. If money were no object I would buy a Rivendell Atlantis. But the books and podcasts I've been reading/listening to are full of people who just get on their bikes and take off for years with little problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

I've decided on the Surly LHT....

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thus far, all that I know for sure, is that it will be OTS and steel. I'd like for it to have lugs, but that's not absolutely necessary.

You guys have any advice?

I don't have any advice, I was just wondering what OTS means.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts