Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I really need some advice. I broke down and bought a really nice bike and now I need some advice on pedaling with my feet clipped onto the pedals and on how to shift properly. I went on a 15 mile ride today and I kept miss-shifting(I don't know if my shifters need to be dialed in, or if its my ham-fisted way of using the shifters) and I'm confused on how I'm supposed to pedal, the bike store guy told me to pretend like I was scrapping mud off of the bottom of my shoe so I tried that and ended up kind of hopping up and down on the seat. PLEASE HELP!!!!:hate:

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
Did you get it from the Trek store? If so you can save a lot of time by taking the bike back and let them show you. They actually put it on a trainer for my wife and let her work through the gears, clip in and out to get the hang of it. They also did a basic fit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode the bike to the shop that I bought it from after work today and the guy who owns the place walked me through changing gears, unfortunately I forgot to ask him about how to pedal with my feet clipped onto the pedals, I'm starting to get the hang of it though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I feel your pain, I bought my 2.3 a few weeks ago and have 225 miles on her already. I took her in for an adjustment just yesterday. The LBS I bought it from tightened everything up and adjusted the shifting cables. Now about the clip in shoes, I don't have the nerve to do it yet, I am still in the slide in pedals. I feel I still need a few more miles. Did you buy new shoes or used and what kind? I need to research this thing some before I do anything. Seems like everyone has a kind they like. Good luck with your 2.3 so far I love mine, even if I laid it down at 55 miles, just a scratch. :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The one word about those new to clipping in, and that's anticipation. I use SPD cleats and it took just a bit of getting used to and one "Tommy Tipover" (ok its an old sprint car term but fits) on the early rides. I started up against a wall getting in and out of the pedals. It took a bit of getting used to, but really not hard.

The benefit was almost immediately apparent. Yet it took a few rides, and before you knew it new habits were formed. You learn when you need to unclip and how much ahead of time to be ready to put that foot on the ground.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
The one word about those new to clipping in, and that's anticipation.
+1. the only times I've wrecked were when I was stopped or moving slowly, and wasn't ready to unclip. in my opinion, it would be better for the pride if you were to wreck doing like 35 downhill rather than tipping over from a standstill in front of cars stopped at the red light...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tipped over still clipped in for the first time this afternoon, scraped my knee up pretty good. I was on the wrong side of the street, a car was making a right hand turn and didn't see me, I slowed down and berore I knew it I was on the ground.

·
The Bearded Wonder
561 Posts
I tipped over still clipped in for the first time this afternoon, scraped my knee up pretty good. I was on the wrong side of the street, a car was making a right hand turn and didn't see me, I slowed down and berore I knew it I was on the ground.
It'll happen to the best of us.:rolleyes:

·
Two skinny J's
21,512 Posts
and I'm confused on how I'm supposed to pedal, the bike store guy told me to pretend like I was scrapping mud off of the bottom of my shoe so I tried that and ended up kind of hopping up and down on the seat. PLEASE HELP!!!!:hate:
He should have told you "how to" scrape that mud. The Perfect Pedal Stroke - bicycling.com I would suggest you make sure your cleats are positioned right first Fast Feet - bicycling.com I've watched people ride with their legs and knees all over the place and it just looks painful. I'm still new to riding as well but it didn't take long to learn these few things. I always try to work on my pedal stroke, making it smooth and consistent.

Clipping and unclipping will become natural pretty quick and you won't think about it much. New cleats are nice and tight and a much more solid twist to release is needed...unlike my wore out cleats that float and require very little effort to unclip :D

As always, my .02 worth :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the links Cycles. Managed about 18 miles today & didn't fall over once! However, a truck and a car almost killed me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts