Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car got totaled about 2 weeks ago so I bought a new bike that i use to get around on, i also bought a garmin forerunner 205 to play with as well. so far i am learning by trial and error how to use the gears, cadence, and body positioning.... what i really need tho is recommendations on a new saddle, my butt is killing me!!!! any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Before you buy a new saddle, I would suggest you make sure the fit is right otherwise. Sometimes just a bit up, down, forward or back, or a bit of tilt one way or another makes all the difference. I found some of those gel covers also helpful as well as the gel underwear, (or the gel version of cycling shorts) but saddle is personal. What works for one might not work for another.

If you still need a saddle, take your bike with you to your local bike shop. Let them check and see how you are sitting, and sometimes the old vet can spot or suggest something that immediately solves the problem. The right bike shop can steer you in some directions to think about for the type of riding you do.

One other thing I learned. If your body starts to hurt, listen its trying to tell you something. Find out why. In my case it was a knee, but its was just a little ache. I decided it was just soreness and pushed on. Well the result was later I found out the seat was too low and spent a month taking a medication to reduce the swelling an to help it heal. Injury was directly related to the fit of the bike. I was lucky. I didn't do enough damage to need an MRI ect, but I don't think I was far from it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanxs for the quick reply, I raised the seat a little more so I'll see how that feels tomorrow, I got a years worth of free tune-ups with the bike so when I bring it in next month if I am still having issues I'll have bike guy see what he can do

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had a FX 7.2 for about a month now and love it. I'm getting back into cycling after being away for years. Anyway when I asked about a wider seat etc at the shop where I bought it, They said give it a couple weeks then see if you need a different seat. They also recommended wearing cycling shorts. So I still have the original seat and my back side eased off after a couple weeks. I wear the baggy cycling shorts and things are going smooth. That worked for me , but I know to each his own and what works for one may not work for another.

·
Registered
73 Posts
new saddle

my car got totaled about 2 weeks ago so I bought a new bike that i use to get around on, i also bought a garmin forerunner 205 to play with as well. so far i am learning by trial and error how to use the gears, cadence, and body positioning.... what i really need tho is recommendations on a new saddle, my butt is killing me!!!! any suggestions?:confused:
bike seats are very personal and what works for me may not work for you. with that said i think you should try the specialized gel seats they are very comfortable and affordable seats. Specialized has doctors on staff helping with the manufacturing of there Body Geometry gear. I have the avatar gel with the cut-out so that my boys are happy, i love this seat. I can ride for miles with no problems. the garmin forerunner is a powerful tool when you pair it with mapmyride.com upload your rides and you can see your progress.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
My new bike came with a very long, thin racing style seat that felt fine until I did about 10 miles, and then the pain started piling on. After about 2 weeks of this I went to the local LBS and picked up this seat. Works great, did a 30 mile beach bike path ride and didn't even begin to feel any discomfort. Made a huge difference for me, I can ride all day no problems.

A.R.S. Spring Men's

EDIT: I Just noticed I payed about 20 bucks less for this seat at the LBS than the price shown in the link

1 - 7 of 7 Posts