Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently received a Raleigh Grand Prix 10-speed bike. I would like to know what the minimum height (my height) requirement is for this bike ?
How do I know if the bike is too big for me ? I am around 5'5" tall.
And how do I lower the saddle stem ?
Okay....now that I am a pest I hope that someone can help me....please !!!!:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Raleigh Super Grand Prix Bike

Can you send out pics of your bike? I also have a Super Grand Prix that my wife (girlfriend then!) gave to me over 30 years ago before we married. I haven't been doing much riding due to knee and hip surgeries (too many to count !). I stand about 5' 6" and the bar does hit just below my "danger zone". Looking forward to hearing from you.
Mambi

·
173 Posts
Welcome aboard!! Like they said, straddle the bars with at least 1-2 inch clearance.
Adjust the seat up or down by loosening the seat steam clamp bolt/quick release lever
where steam goes into the bike frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Height on the bar.

When I am standing stradding the bar with my feet flat on the ground the bar is right at the crotch area but not pressing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the seat steam clamp bolt goes I have no idea how that works. I am able to take the seat on and off but the silver tube that the seat is fastened to is the one that goes into the tube of the frame. I know that I sound like such a novice.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
When I am standing stradding the bar with my feet flat on the ground the bar is right at the crotch area but not pressing.
If you had to make an emergency stop, are you comfortable with that level of intimacy? Most cyclists prefer a bit more margin for error.

·
12,350 Posts
As far as the seat steam clamp bolt goes I have no idea how that works. I am able to take the seat on and off but the silver tube that the seat is fastened to is the one that goes into the tube of the frame. I know that I sound like such a novice.
Where the seat post enters the frame, there will either be a nut, allen bolt, or quick release lever. Loosening that will allow you to raise and lower the seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really would prefer more of a margin of error. It is really close. I thought that if I could lower the seat stem then I would at least feel more comfortable if I had to come off the seat in a hurry. I would hate to have the bike just sit around because it is really in very nice shape. Was kept in a gargage by a cyclist up on hooks and rides really well. I was originally looking for an older model Raleigh Record and not a Grand Prix.

·
12,350 Posts
Lowering your seat isn't going to make the frame any lower. No matter how nice the bike is, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. I guess you must acquit. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are so right. How does an Allen bolt adjust? This is the first time I remember seeing one. When I had the Record it was sized directly to me so I did not have the issues that I am having now with the one that I "inherited".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The heads of this bolt are flat with an identation into the bolt. Is the right as you are facing the handlebars from behind the seat or is it right as you are facing the back tire from in front of the seat ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts