Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in another thread, the unplanned soil sampling I took a couple weeks ago bend the front rim on my Trek X-Cal 29er. Since then I've been researching a new wheelset.

One option was to simply replace the Bontrager Mustang wheel. They are just middle of the road wheels so that was my least attractive option. How often do you have a legitimate reason to upgrade? Don't waste it :)

There's no shortage of expensive mountain bike wheels on the market. One thing I had to keep in mind is that while I really like mountain biking, it only makes up about 5-10 percent of my riding so dropping a grand on a new set of wheels is out of the question.

One set of wheels that kept showing up during my search was the Easton EA70 CX wheels. Nothing fancy, but at least as good if not a little better (and lighter) than the Mustangs. Performance had a closeout deal on a set of 2011 models that was too good to turn down. I opted for free shipping so it'll be a week or so before I get them. I'm on the fence about the white color. The bike is black, blue and a little white, so I think it will look good. Only time will tell. Pictures will follow once I get them mounted.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Maybe I should try that for my road bike :) Put some pictures up when you get them on!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got the 'It's Shipped' email. Have me some wheels on Friday!

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
The wheels look great. May I suggest you add a set of tire liners. I am not sure what the trails are like were you ride but around here they are loaded with thorns that love to puncture your tires.

I got a flat out on the trails and had picked up a little dog droppings on the tire while riding and guess where it ended up next.

Tire liners keep your hands clean.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, all I can say is ouch! when I read that. If those thorns can puncture your tires I can only imagine what they can do to your feet. Luckily the closest thing around here to that are wild blackberry stalks that hang over into the trail this time of year and like to rip your arms to shreds.

Just back from picking the wheels up. Obviously I've mellowed a little over the years because I didn't even bother to open the box.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The final reveal! I'm pleased with the white rims. The old wheels were black and make the bike look blah. The white adds a 'pop' I think. The Maxxis Ignitor tires are a much more aggressive tread pattern than what was on the bike. Only a trail ride will confirm I made the right choices, but in the looks department I'm happy!

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
I like those wheels Poolie, you are right almost to much black, the white does it!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the white wheels look good on your bike. Now you get to use the snot out of them. Have fun.
Next weekend taking it up to the N. GA mountains for a serious shakedown. Can't wait.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts