New wheels

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by Industry_Hack, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Just got a pair of these from this seller on ebay. I'm at work, but I'll give a full report once I get home and get them installed. They look pretty good for the price.

2. KShep

KShep Zensunni Wanderer

Aero and sturdy looking for a reasonable price. Nice.

3. Industry_Hack

4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

How heavy are they?

They aren't bad looking and for the price you certainly aren't getting hurt too badly on them.

5. Industry_Hack

They seem to be OK for their giant (43mm) size. I'll see if I can get them on a scale tonight.

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Seems like a good combo. Did you buy them based on someones recommendation or just a random buy from the specs?

7. Industry_Hack

Someone linked to them on another site, and they seemed like a decent enough deal for the price. My LBS had a nice set of wheels marked down to roughly the same price, but they were a bit too much on the light side for our crappy roads in the winter. I may go back and get them to keep as summer spares though.

Anyway, these look like they just need a little extra attention to the bearings and a cone adjustment, (probably normal at this price) then I'll stress-relieve the wheels and give them a touch-up truing. Out of the box, they seem OK.

8. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Hmmm good price. Cones and balls are better than cheap industrial in my book. Are the sidewalls OK for brakes or are they "true" track rims? They'll probably be pretty harsh for commuting.

9. dovitsky

dovitsky New Member

ebay stuff

Although ebay stuff is ok, I would stay away from any bike parts on ebat, unless it is say, someone selling a RockShox SID. The mass market ebay bike shops seem sketchy. I have worked on many ebay bike parts and they always have some issue. On the other hand, I have heard many people who get lucky, and receive a great bike part. Btw, the wheels look nice, deep dish, always look good.

the velocity B43 rims are very nice as well.

10. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I'm also interested in hearing how they run brake-wise. This may be the perfect set for the new (old) Schwinn beater I picked up.

11. Industry_Hack

I've bought and sold enough bike parts on eBay (more than 1,000 transactions) that I'm not really too worried. Seems like the bike part folks are the most honest.

12. Industry_Hack

Some photos of them on the bike, if anyone is interested. Oh, no comments about the brakes, OK? :) I can't be bothered to remove them right now, but I don't think they'll actually function with these rims in cold/wet weather.

Attached Files:

13. chh55

I have made well over 350 purchases on ebay... 99% of them bike parts, from private parties, companies, from Germany, UK, Switzerland, US, Italy, France, Lithuania, Poland, China, used and new, everything you can imagine from frames to wheels to vintage tubulars.... never any issues with anything. 99.9% of the buyers and sellers are interesting people who love bikes (kinda like the folks here as a matter of fact) and are fun to deal with. :D

14. Industry_Hack

15. chh55

So... the rims do have a braking surface?

16. Industry_Hack

Nope. Well, no machined braking surface. Although you could run brakes, they probably wouldn't be so kind to the finish.