New Wheelset - Durable

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by JSC1616, Mar 10, 2010.

1. JSC1616

JSC1616 New Member

I'm a casual rider - weekends mostly - I am looking to purchase new wheels for my Specialized - Allez, Sport. The wheels that came with the bike, new, are AlexRims - AT400. Hate'em. I weigh 235 lbs. and the wheels just can't take the beating.

Can someone recommend a good, durable, all-around wheelset for me?

I was looking at the Mavic 2009 Aksium wheelset -- I don't want to spend the money if the wheels weren't designed for a rider my size. Should I be looking at heavier wheels? If I pay more...will the wheels be more durable? What should I be looking for?

Thank you,

Jarrett

2. dovitsky

dovitsky New Member

HURRICANE

the hurricane wheels are great!, super strong / light

3. JSC1616

JSC1616 New Member

Hey...thanks for the reply. I checked out the Hurricanes....nice wheels. I also like the fact they are American made. Any other options...maybe a little cheaper? Or, if I go cheaper will I lose the strength and durability?

Again, thanks!

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you want strong wheels, go with a 32 spoke set laced 3 cross and preferably with double butted spokes. You don't have to break the bank for a durable wheel set. For example, Performance has a front Ultegra/Mavic Open Pro 32h SS dbl butted on sale for 99 bucks. The matching rear is $179.

5. JSC1616

JSC1616 New Member

Thanks for the info. I will check those out as well.
    A friend of mine suggested custom wheels from a place in Colorado...any thoughts there?

By the way...just got my hands on a case of Bells - Hopslam...love it!

Thanks!

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Hand built wheels will be stronger than the same wheels built by machine. Of course, they will be a bit more spendy too.

Haven't had Hopslam yet. I'll see if they have some at my LBS.

Slainte!

7. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

I have a pair of Aksiums and I think they are great for the money. I don't think there is a weight limit for them. They have been bomb proof for me at 195 lbs.

8. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

If you want durability go with a higher spoke count like someone here mentioned. I'd go custom with someone like Zencyclery.com or Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. They will build you something that will suit your needs and be durable and easily serviced when the time comes.

9. ZenCyclery

ZenCyclery New Member

@JSC- At your weight, you should definitely air of the side of durability. Now, this means that you may have to spend a bit more to get something that will last. But I'm sure many would agree that it is worth the hassle saved. You could go with a Kinlin XR300/White Industries setup and get no rider weight limit, easier serviceability, and a pound less in total weight.
    Where something like this would really shine though would be 4 or 5 seasons down the road when they are still rolling smooth.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

11. loiblb

loiblb New Member

My Allez came with the Alex DA16 wheelset. Sofar I have been lucky. No issues.

12. froze

froze Banned

The Aksium's are not a light weight wheelset; but other forums have reported people weighing in your range riding them ok. Personally I would be a bit worried riding a bike with such low spoke count with 235 pounds on them, in fact I'm not so sure I would ride them with my weight of 160! But that's just me. They are very inexpensive wheelset, but I think you should look into a 36 hole rim and not even a 32 as another poster mentioned.

The following is what poster ZenCyclery was referring to and I agree full heartily.

This site CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com Has the details, start by clicking on custom wheels, then click on aero/road/cross, then enter in the questions it asks, click wheelset, then click Kinlin. I would use 36 hole rim and hub (either Shimano 105 or Velocity-these are lighter and both are close to the same price) along with DT Competition spokes with brass nipples, laced either 3 or 4 cross, Probuilder recommends 4 cross for your weight.

Those wheels will be about $100 more then the Mavic but they would be bomb proof. I'm not sure if you can find those wheels for less somewhere else, but ProWheelbuilders has had a good reputation.

13. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

JSC1616 Last Activity: 04-21-2010, Maybe they will be back and look at all this good info.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  14. froze

froze Banned

That was a waste of time! I think someone did that on purpose, and since ZenCyclery was the first to restart this post the question arises WHY? :mad:

15. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

I have found that a thread isn't always just for the OP, but often times it's more useful for the next guy who comes along seeking similar advice.

16. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Agreed.

17. SerottaLegend58

SerottaLegend58 New Member

I would call Ergott Wheels or Peter White Cycles and discuss your needs. Otherwise I would go with Mavic Open Pro or CXP33 or similar heavy duty rim and 32fr/36 rear spokes. Also consider using stronger spokes on the rear driveside. Colorado Cyclist may be the firm someone else was referring and that is an excellent recommendation as well. Mavic Aksium or good solid training wheels but I am not knowledge enough about them to comment whether they would be sufficient for your weight.

18. SerottaLegend58

SerottaLegend58 New Member

Velocity Deep V is a very strong rim also. It is what I have front and back. I would have went with Fusion for the front but none were available at the time I needed a wheel built to replace an Aerohead that cracked.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  19. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

It would be nice if there was a tubeless rim option to build up a wheel without having to use stans tape. I don't know of any off hand.

20. jdayrutherford

jdayrutherford New Member

Try Colorado cyclist. Pick your rims, hubs, and get
    32 spoke double or triple cross , with good dy Swiss double butted spokes. I did that 8 years ago and never had a problem or even a need
    to retrue them.
    Depending on the hub you choose they
    should not be too expensive, and will last
    forever.