newbie please help

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by mallard1123, Apr 5, 2010.

1. mallard1123

mallard1123 New Member

hello i want to get a bike but i have no idea what one to get. there are alot of used bikes for sale on craigslist but i dont know whats good and whats bad. i want a bike for pathes and also for riding some trails in the woods. im 6'1" what size fram should i get also.

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well just a free piece of advice, but you know the old saying about free advise don't you. You get what you pay for.

That being said, unless you are well versed in bikes, I would suggest you avoid craigslist for now. You might save a bit on your bike now, or you might not. Unless you know enough about a bike to evaluate its condition and do your own maintenance, you are going to need help after the purchase. I would also avoid the department store bikes. No help at all and usually not much there that anyone would really want to ride.

What do I suggest you do?? Find a local bike shop, one that offers accessories, repairs and adjustments. Then tell them you are a new rider, what you want the bike to do, then do what most people have the most trouble doing "listen".

A good sales person will point out the options, point out the advantages and disadvantages of each bike, and many will let you test ride them. Most will help you adjust the bike for a proper fit, and that alone is very important. An improper fit can cause an injury and you definitely won't save enough to pay for the doctor bill.

Lastly when you buy a bike there, many shops will do free adjustments. But most of all you have a knowledge base from which to tap to make your riding more enjoyable. They are there for questions when problems arise, and most likely they are riders and have been there done that. They might have tried what you are thinking and can tell why it works or doesn't work.

It may be a mom an pop type store, but sometimes you can get the same type of service at a chain if the right people are there. My local bike shop is a Performance Bike. I can say absolutely nothing but good things about them. They all know me by name. I can ask anyone anything and they all are riders. That is going to save you money and aggravation in the long run. Yes you might spend a bit more up front, but you might not. Most bike shops have bikes in all price ranges from the $200 fun bike to the $6000 racer. That's why they are there to help you pick the right one out for you.

3. mallard1123

mallard1123 New Member

ok thanks i went to a bike shop and the guy wants me to spend more than i want ill just try different shops

4. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Look around. The smart shops know when you buy a starter bike, you will come back. How much are you looking to spend? Maybe some here can make a few suggestions??