Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am retired and started bicycling about three years ago. I have really enjoyed reading the various discussions here.

I have a question regarding "trimming" the front derailleur. Can someone explain how and why one would need to use the trimming function? From what little I know, it appears that trimming is used when the chain starts to rub because of cross-chaining. Wouldn't it be better to avoid cross-chaioing to begin with and not have to be bothered with trimming ?

Thanks

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Hi from the Swamp.
Yes it would be better to not cross-chain but in todays world of 10 and 11 rear cassettes it is nice to be able to use more of them.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Better to not cross chain. It puts stress in the chain as well as rubbing. Some bikes have a way to fine tune some it. My road bike has a micro shift function on the front where if I am on the small rings in the back it works best in one place, and the big ones on back has another. That extra click usually gets rid of any issue I have had on that bike. If it doesn't, its usually the fault of the fat old guy on the bike having a brain fade..

Welcome to the group. Lots of really nice people here and a great deal of bike knowledge from virtually ever type of riding anyone has ever done. If you have a problem, some one here has likely been there done that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks so much for your help. I have been very impressed with the questions and the civil and well thought out replies in this forum.

Given my level of competency, cross-chaining is not yet one of my problems!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts