Newbie w/ question about suspension forks

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by SpacemanSpiff, Feb 16, 2011.

1. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Hi all, my name is Eric and would like to say that I love this forum! I guess I am considered a newbie (that is to suspension bikes, anyway) even though I have ridden pretty much my entire life (have had a Miyata Elevation for almost 20 years - still have it...). So here is my problem/question - my loving wife gave me MTB (well, maybe a MTB wanna-be anyway - it is a Victory Vegas Jackpot) w/ full suspension. While I realize this bike is no where near the better ones, I am hoping that it can be made into a decent bike for trail riding. The forks seem really soft (as in a lot of movement when standing up) - they are non-adjustable (I believe) - is there any way to make them stiffer, or should I go to an after-market brand? I am a former motocrosser who raced and did all the maintenance on my bikes (Yamaha YZ250F and 450F), so this kind of work is no problem for me. The rear shock is the adjustable spring type and seems ok but haven't done any trail riding yet.
    I don't want to tell my wife that the bike it junk because she was so happy about it. Can this bike be made into a decent bike? There are no really steep hills/good downhills where we are stationed (U.S. Navy), but there are some really good trails.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I would just ride it as is. Improving the fork will make the shortcomings of that rear coil all the more apparent, and it's not really cost effective for such an inexpensive bike. Enjoy it, and the fact that you've got a cool wife.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Thanks! As much as I would love to do some serious mountain biking, there just isn't the time or really good place for it... I know the bike is a cheap one (thats probably putting it lightly), but is there a way to at least make the forks stiffer? The trails here do not have jumps, drop-offs, etc. - more like rolling terrain w/ some exposed roots, sand, small water crossings, etc. The reason I asked about the replacement fork was I don't want something thats going to bottom easily. I can live with the shortcomings of the rear shock unless it is really going to be bad - after all, my Miyata Elevation 1000 has no shocks - and these are the same trails I will be riding. If a new fork is warranted in the future, can you recommend a replacement that is suitable for trailriding and not the serious stuff like downhills, etc.? Thanks!

4. Industry_Hack

What fork is on there now, and what would you consider paying for an upgrade?

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

I am at work now, so I can't answer the question about what fork it is until tonight - it is the one that came w/ the bike. As far as an upgrade, if it is something as simple as stiffer springs (like I did for my motocross bikes) and/or oil, then I will go that route. Monetary wise, I am not sure - depending on how the bike holds up. Since this is one of store bikes (although I do not know where she got it), I wonder if upgrade forks will work. Thank you for taking the time to help me w/ my questions!

6. Industry_Hack

Once we know which fork, we'll be in a better position to offer suggestions.

7. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Some of the lower end mountain bikes have an adjustment at the top of the fork on each side that you can turn and tighten the spring. Mine is as a relatively low end mountain bike, and its got that type of adjustment. Outside of that remember one thing. If she ain't happy, you ain't happy. Riding a bike that you may not have picked out if you had the chance is nothing compared to the alternative. Enjoy it. Take her to bike shops from time to time with you and show her the ones you like. Let her see how much fun you have riding the trails, and I bet next time she will bring home exactly what you want.

8. Industry_Hack

I got my wife a Giant Boulder MTB on sale for something like $300, and she loves it. The irony is that I rode my Harley down to the bike shop to make a payment, and had a 4" long, 3/8" steel bolt penetrate my back tire, then fly out at speed, damaging the rear fender and taking out one of the computers.

I saved a couple hundred on her bicycle, and did about $800 damage to my motorcycle.
    But my wife is happy.

9. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Better $800 worth of damage to the motorcycle than $18,000 worth of damage to you.

10. Industry_Hack

Better to have no damage at all. :)

11. Eagle

Eagle New Member

I would ride it as is and then if things break or wear replace them as needed.
    I have a friend that goes Mountain biking with us on an old Supercycle MTN bike and he has a blast, and we're all waiting for it to break but its holding up well for a bike that was like $200 haha (taxes in)

I personally am going to be swaping out my Rock Shox when I track down a Bontrager carbon blade fork, going back to no suspension.

Although I do miss my AMP it was great.

12. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

I stuck a marzochi DJ3 fork on a crappy dual suspension bike, and the rear suspension became SO apparent! every time i pushed a pedal it would just compress.

I rode my brothers crappy Raleigh Tora on a 42km backcountry ride loaded with a tent, sleeping bag, and a bunch of other crap, then camped and biked out the next day. Even with deep mud on one damn trail (about 2km of knee deep mud we had to walk.. &%#$!!! ), and a bunch of water crossings, it faired quite well.

Crank the rear suspension spring as tight as it will go, and maybe search ebay for a cheap but decent fork. (dont buy a long travel one though)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  13. bootht99

bootht99 New Member

At first I was wondering why the heck are you thinking a motorcycle is a mountain bike! I googled it, and its probly just a spring in that fork.

14. MAMBI

MAMBI New Member

Having a happy wife.............PRICELESS !!