Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Purple, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Purple

Purple New Member

Hello, all

I'm 35 years old and struggling to get into shape. I hate jogging. Hate it. I've flirted with road bikes and found them way to uncomfortable for me. I don't like being hunched over and I especially don't like a tiny, wedge-shaped seat jammed up into my...well, you're cyclists; you know what I'm sayin.

I've tried mountain bikes but I found out that I ride pretty much only on pavement, so all the fancy shocks and gears and knobby tires are wasted on me.

I joined Two Spoke as I research the best hybrid/comfort bike for me. I've come to realize I'm a casual rider who'd like to get groceries, do errands, and cruise around town on something that I look forward to riding. I don't need clipless pedals, spandex or team jerseys. I wanna hop on something in the shoes I'm wearing and spin the 2 miles to the bank in relative comfort.

I haven't actually purchased a bike yet, I'm still figuring out what's best for me. Hopefully you'll hear more from me once I decide to take the plunge.

Thanks,
    Purple

2. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Purple, I ride a specialized crosstrail, a hybrid, part road bike, part mountain bike. I love the bike, it does perform better on the road than on the dirt, but does take a lot of punishment with little effort. It has front shocks you can lock down to solid if you want to, I seldom do this, at my age I want my wrists cushioned a little. Bike cost about $700 and has comfortable seat, and good petals, 27 speeds but shifts pretty effortless. I used to be a runner and gave it up to come back to cycling, a lot easier on the body. Be careful, if you get the bug, the 2miles to the bank will soon be 20 miles to the next town, or beyond..... I know it happened to me, in 2yrs, I've gone from 3-4 miles 2-3X/wk to 100mi/week and a few rides in the 35-50 mile range, and I live and ride in the sierra nevada mtns, all UP or DOWN, great fun. I've lost 15 lbs and I was pretty thin to start with, didn't know I had 15lbs to loose, and I eat about 4K calories a day, go figure.

O BTW, welcome to Two Spoke, lots of good people here to help you get started.

DrB
    ps, I'm 56

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hi Purple welcome abord I ride a Jamis comfort bike a Explorer 2. I ride 10 miles a day and have tryed a fue hybrides but I keep going back and riding my comford bike. the one thing I would change on it are the gears I would like a 9 speed and maybe a 50 39 30 chainring, there are some gears that have to much change between gears I think. but I like the ride of the 26x1.95 and the sprung seat post allso the forks have shocks and the uprite riding posision
    my .02

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you don't wan't a traditional bike, in addition to hybrids, check out the Electra Townie.
    [​IMG]