Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a female and looking into buying my first bike. Does anyone have sugestions with a budget of less than $600?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Road Riding. Would love to train for long distance. I am currently a long distance runner and do spinning classes and just want to be outside!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Road Riding. Would love to train for long distance. I am currently a long distance runner and do spinning classes and just want to be outside!
Are you set on a drop bar road bike, or thinking about a flat bar hybrid? For your budget there are many nice flat bar bikes in that range. For a drop bar bike, you're almost going to have to look for a used one. If you have friend that's an experienced rider I would ask them to help you find one on Craig's List. Some people sell junk so you need someone that will know the difference.

Also, check with your locla bike shop if you have one. Many times they will have trade ins. And this time of year they might just have a clearance sale going on a new one.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The catch is fit. At least in the beginning you are going to be needing a knowledge base. Bikes direct for many old timers that know what size they need, know what they are doing and are able to work on the bike, its a perfectly sound option. Most local bike shops that are really good will let you test ride a bike, have someone around to ask a question and steer you in the right direction. Your instincts will typically tell you if the shop knows what they are talking about. Not all of them do. Yet when you find a good one the extra money you pay for the bike will be more than off set by the knowledge they will share with you. Now you should check out bikes direct anyway. You should know the premium you are paying, but the local guy has to eat too if you want something to save a ride on a nice Sat afternoon.

·
42 Posts
At that price it will be tough. Bikesdirect.com and Craigslist are probably your best bet. But if you can save another $2-300 then you can get a bike from an LBS and enjoy the benefits of an LBS.

Just My .02

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Welcome to forum, There is a lot of good people here who can help answer your questions.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You might be able to find some 2011 on sale for around $600 at your LBS. Depends on what kind of components you want. I saw some 2011 Fuji Newest 3.0 bikes at Performance in the $500 range.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
One poster mentioned Bikes Direct, I agree. You'll get more for your $600 there then anywhere else. Just click on the tabs and search, see: Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties

The only drawback to a mail order site is you can't test ride it, and you're going to have to make sure your inseam measurement is accurate. About 98% of all high end custom made bikes are never test rode and the riders measurements given over the phone and the buyers love them when they get them. Granted none of the bikes at BD are custom, but neither are any of the LBS bikes in your price range. If mail order scares you then this is a good time to be looking for a bike at an LBS because their trying to get rid of the 2011 models which means prices are slashed.

You should go look and come back with a few models you have questions about and let the forum help guide you; but in the long run it has to be a bike that you like and not us, otherwise you may not like it and thus won't ride it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Eponte01, if you're still out there, Performance Bikes is currently having a 50% off sale on road bikes. Just got a sales flyer in the mail today. There are several bikes at or before $600.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Performance has some really great prices after the holidays. Plus last year in Jan. you got an extra 10% off if you used a gift card. Can you afford more then $600? If you run and spin, you're going to love riding, and don't want to be held back by your equipment choice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As the forums GLBS ( good local bike shop) advocate, I have to recommend checking out the bike shops in your area. A good bike shop will offer decent road bikes for any budget and they will make sure that you buy the right bike with the proper fit. Just remember that you need to budget for all the other gear as well. At the very least you'll need a helmet, and water bottles and cages. A good bike shop will give you a discount on anything you buy when you purchase a bike from them. Also if you end up getting hooked on riding a good relationship with a shop will prove invaluable. Depending on the time of year you purchase your bike you can usually find unsold bikes from the previous year at a good discount. So shop around, it does not take long to find out if a bike shop is friendly and helpful. When you go in and start talking to the owner or staff it will be quickly apparent by their manner wether the shop is a good fit for you or not. Some shops can be snobby some just out for a quick sale. So if they treat you with respect and listen to you before they tell you what they have to sell you're off to a good start.
If you post in the forum where you are from there might be someone here who can recommend a shop or shops in your area.
Welcome to the club, cyclists all know what non-cyclists have yet to discover, life is better on a bike.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
As the forums GLBS ( good local bike shop) advocate, I have to recommend checking out the bike shops in your area. A good bike shop will offer decent road bikes for any budget and they will make sure that you buy the right bike with the proper fit. Just remember that you need to budget for all the other gear as well. At the very least you'll need a helmet, and water bottles and cages. A good bike shop will give you a discount on anything you buy when you purchase a bike from them. Also if you end up getting hooked on riding a good relationship with a shop will prove invaluable. Depending on the time of year you purchase your bike you can usually find unsold bikes from the previous year at a good discount. So shop around, it does not take long to find out if a bike shop is friendly and helpful. When you go in and start talking to the owner or staff it will be quickly apparent by their manner wether the shop is a good fit for you or not. Some shops can be snobby some just out for a quick sale. So if they treat you with respect and listen to you before they tell you what they have to sell you're off to a good start.
If you post in the forum where you are from there might be someone here who can recommend a shop or shops in your area.
Welcome to the club, cyclists all know what non-cyclists have yet to discover, life is better on a bike.
I don't know of anyone who bought a new bike from any bike shop and got discounts on essentials needed for riding, not saying that no one does, just saying I knew many bike shops and purchasers including myself and never seen a discount on extras, especially if they bought a closeout bike. You will get a free tune up, some will do it up for a year after the purchase, one shop I knew did it for the life of the bike...parts if needed were extra of course and not discounted. And if a shop would give a discount off extra stuff, what kind of discount could it be when they already charge way more then what you could find most parts on the internet for; so gee, you get your discount and still pay more then internet prices. Not saying I never use a LBS, and I especially won't go into a LBS and pick their brain on a part then buy it on the internet, but if I can find a part from doing my own research on the internet for significantly less money then that's where I'll go to buy it.

Great, now I'm going to get a bunch of haters.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have a great LBS they have lifetime tuneups if you buy the bike from them and also give 10% discount on all accessories I have bought two bikes from them and they always go the extra mile to make sure I am comfortable and satisfied with my purchase. I had tried other LBS and agree they can be snobby and pushy but if you find the right one it is a blessing.

PS no hating here

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I use Tuckahoe bike shop here in south Jersey, thay seam to have good prices and good service , thay might not be internet prices but thay are close, and you get to try the bike befor you buy, that has to be worth somethingg, parts prices too if you buy the bike there.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a great LBS they have lifetime tuneups if you buy the bike from them and also give 10% discount on all accessories I have bought two bikes from them and they always go the extra mile to make sure I am comfortable and satisfied with my purchase. I had tried other LBS and agree they can be snobby and pushy but if you find the right one it is a blessing.

PS no hating here
That pretty much covers my LBS. They and I both know I can get stuff cheaper on the internet, but they know my name when I walk in the door, are friendly and give great customer service. So when I can I buy from them.

Froze... no hate here either man :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
I don't know of anyone who bought a new bike from any bike shop and got discounts on essentials needed for riding, not saying that no one does, just saying I knew many bike shops and purchasers including myself and never seen a discount on extras, especially if they bought a closeout bike. You will get a free tune up, some will do it up for a year after the purchase, one shop I knew did it for the life of the bike...parts if needed were extra of course and not discounted. And if a shop would give a discount off extra stuff, what kind of discount could it be when they already charge way more then what you could find most parts on the internet for; so gee, you get your discount and still pay more then internet prices. Not saying I never use a LBS, and I especially won't go into a LBS and pick their brain on a part then buy it on the internet, but if I can find a part from doing my own research on the internet for significantly less money then that's where I'll go to buy it.

Great, now I'm going to get a bunch of haters.
10% of off every bike and accessory I have bought. I know it's not much since I know what the LBS pays for them but it keeps me coming back. I don't buy wheels, garmins and the like from them I will admit. I like the fact when I walk in I'm friends with 95% of the employee's and ride with most of them and my best friend is a wrench there, can't beat that :D

IMHO Internet shopping is great but helps destroy local economics.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts