Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riddle me this. . .Back in the late 80's my uncle (the omnipotent bachelor playboy) was going on a binge of finding a new bike to buy. He was a roadie in the 60s/70s and decided to was going to try mtb. He searched and searched and ended up buying a Nishiki mtb brand new. If I remember correctly, it was a big process to find a Nishiki for sale and that it was hand painted by someone (craftsman?), maybe in Japan? It was black with this very 80's granite/lighting type of paint job, faded flourescent green on a black speckled with white frame. He never rode it (it was too expensive, he said) and just let it sit. He still won't part with it, over 20 years later.

Anyway, I was at a sporting goods store last weekend to buy a water bottle (not for biking, I support my LBS for all of my needs) and lo and behold, among the no-name brands, they sell Nishiki. I was looking at price tags and they were dirt cheap. All mtb and since I'm not familiar with the mtb components, I couldn't tell if it was a decent build up or not.

Bottom line, what's the deal with Nishiki? Have they gone the way of the box-store brand/toy/junk bikes? I was under the impression they were an elite brand but I may stand corrected...

Thanks,
Alex

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
i checked out what they offer now and there top mtb is middle components while not a bad group it is not all xo- or xtr it comes with a Tora, once again a good fork but most companies offer a bike with a Fox or Sid or at least a Reba.
i don not know their history maybe they used to be a handmade company and sold out to a production source.
also too expensive to ride is a relative term... my boss has a $14,000.00 dollar Cologna the only bike he owns and he rides it. i would be stressed while riding it.. while my bike is not cheap it is not that pricey. get what i mean.....

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The ultimate insult to anything that moves is to park it. Better to lose it doing what it was built to do than to stick it behind glass and it never see the light of day. Nothing irks me more, with very few exceptions, to see a car, airplane or bike just parked.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny thing happened yesterday. The club I belong to, along with the LBS put on an introductory ride for beginners. Lo and behold was a Nishiki road bike from what the oldest member of the group estimated to be from the early 70's complete with Campy downtube shifters. The bike was immaculate and the woman that was riding it happened to buy it off of her boss who hoardes bikes. He picked it up at a police auction for like 5 bucks and then sold it to her for 25. Very, very cool bike in unmolested condition.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IH-

I think it might be the alien judging by the paint scheme. I was looking around on the web and come up with thiese old posts:

Informaton about Nishiki Ariel [Archive] - Bike Forums

About 6 or 7 down it describes the paint acheme on the Alien, white with black splatter paint. This bike he has is black with flourescent green splatter paint. I'm guessing it is the same model based on paint, but I specifically remember him saying it was hand-painted at the factory (?!?!?!?!) so I'm not sure. Regardless it has to be an alien or ariel, i just don't remember what the chainstay/brake set up was.

Alex

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
When I got mine, they made a big deal about the paint job. It came from Helen's Cycles in Santa Monica, which then became Supergo, if I recall correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts