Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody used the MiNewt 150? I think I have one coming for Christmas. It will be my first headlight. I don't count the littly puny thing from Bell that I have on my bike right now.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I can tell you right now that for $150 that the MiNewt cost, you can get a way brighter light. The Cygolite ExpiliOn 400 puts out a max of 400 lumens, the battery is self contained, rechargeable, and self contained; and it only cost about $117. That would leave you enough money to buy a Cygolite Hotshot tail light!

see: Amazon.com: CygoLite ExpiliOn 400 USB Rechargable Headlight: Black: Sports & Outdoors

and see: Amazon.com: Cygolite Hotshot 2-Watt USB Rechargeable Taillight with USB Cable: Sports & Outdoors

Or if getting a refund is out of the question, but the Cygolite and use the MiNewt as a helmet light.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was on special for $69 the other day which is why I think the person purchased it for me. Is 150 lumens in-adequate? It is certainly a step up from what I'm using now.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Weav, Where did you see it for $69? For $69 I would consider getting another to use as a helmet light.

Speaking for my 3 yr old 110 lumen model, I think the brightness and pattern is adequate, even for very dark roads. I do have to keep the speed down around 12-15 mph, otherwise the light doesn't' reach far enough for me to react to road hazards.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
It was on special for $69 the other day which is why I think the person purchased it for me. Is 150 lumens in-adequate? It is certainly a step up from what I'm using now.
$69 is cheap, but I wasn't able to find anything close to that price anywhere on the web, but like you said it was probably a special. 150 lumens is great for about 10 mph, anything much faster then that and you could run into surprises that you don't want. If you were like me when I was young I had unusually great night vision and a simple 13 watt halogen was great up to about 20, but as I got older my eyes slowly dimmed, so now at 58 I ride with a light capable of 480 lumens, but I only run it at about 150 in the city and 300 on dark bike paths.

It's just a suggestion to find a brighter light, if it only cost $69 then you would be hard pressed to find a 150 lumen light for that price. So take the gift. Later when you have some extra money buy a brighter light and use the Newt for a helmet light, it would be great for that.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have the 250 and am very pleased with it. I've only used it during the past Fall as the day shortened but it really lit up the bike path and I had it on the lowest setting to increase battery life.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Weav, Where did you see it for $69? For $69 I would consider getting another to use as a helmet light.

Speaking for my 3 yr old 110 lumen model, I think the brightness and pattern is adequate, even for very dark roads. I do have to keep the speed down around 12-15 mph, otherwise the light doesn't' reach far enough for me to react to road hazards.
See the REI daily deals. They ran it on 11/20, different deal everyday on some great outdoor products.

Today it looks like they got a killer deal on a really nice tent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts