No Brakes?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by radracer, Oct 2, 2009.

1. radracer

radracer Guest

Why do so many BMX riders go without brakes on their bikes?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Because it's cool.

And the cable gets in the way when you're doing tricks.

3. radracer

radracer Guest

Isn't that what a Gyro or Oryg or whatever they name them now for

4. Industry_Hack

A longer rear brake cable is much simpler than a detangler, but brakeless is to BMX what the fixie is to single speed riders.

5. radracer

radracer Guest

All these people have brakes:

[​IMG]

:D

6. Industry_Hack

A brake is required for racing, not for freestyle.

7. benny4130

benny4130 New Member

There are a few reasons a lot of people ride with no brakes.
    1. If you go to do a trick you stay commited.
    2. You don't have to worry about broken cables or having to stop and untwist your bars.
    3. Most riders don't have the money or know how to fix a wheel so when it gets all out of wack and starts hitting the brakes they just take it off and keep riding

8. ultra

ultra Guest

What are your feelings on gyros? It seems like they would solve the issue and most of the bikes I look at have them

9. Industry_Hack

Take a close look at one. While they're simple to set up and maintain if you understand them, they're pure hell if you don't have a clue. Weight and complexity frequently lose out to a single long cable, or none at all.

10. benny4130

benny4130 New Member

Go with a straight linar cable until you get down tailwhips and bar spins otherwise there is no need for one

11. bear-hunter-ninja

bear-hunter-ninja New Member

brakes aren't necessary for any style of freestyle riding anymore, dirt jumping included. Less weight, less maintenance, looks smoother, etc.
    IE: Chase Hawk

Fox Head | Bmx Videos | 2009

12. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

Stop with your feet then? Must kill your shoes.

13. bear-hunter-ninja

bear-hunter-ninja New Member

street riding wears out your shoes the most, but really not all that much. If you're smart you can easily make a pair of shoes last a year and ride brakeless. Personally I like sneakers, so I have a decent rotation.

14. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

Do they make special shoes for braking?

15. Eurospeed

Eurospeed EuRoSpEeD

My buddy has a BMX and its chrome. He has the brake that you could spin and the bike will not tangle up. When he does tricks its almost as good as no brakes.

EuroSpeed

16. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

took my brakes off 5 years ago to stop being a panzy.... never felt the need to put them back on

17. joeleitz

joeleitz New Member

Gyros are great and fairly simple to set-up....but make sure when you buy one you purchase a couple of spare cables as well. I used to freestyle back in the 80's and I remember when the odyssey gyro was first introduced - it was a better version than anything that preceded it (sr spintech, acs rotor, etc) but unlike those other detanglers, it required it's own odyssey made cables. I did eventually see the sport evolve to the whole brakeless era....the tricks simply didn't seem to really require braking anymore...they also got a whole lot harder for an old schooler like myself :)

I switched to fixed gear bikes some time ago but lately I've been thinking about building a freestyle bike and getting out there again. I've got tons of 80's era parts....relocating my old General Osborn Pro f&f set could be tough though!

(*not mine in the photo)

18. 03Rubiconmg

03Rubiconmg New Member

i rode brakeless for a while to become fast. if you cant stop you learn to handle things.

that made me be able to hit big dirt jumps (woodward pro dirt) and be really fast at racing.

i have friends that ride brakeless simply because maintaining brakes is frustrating to them

I put them back on after getting good because you need them when you are riding stuff as big as pro dirt and i cant manual without them.

19. Eurospeed

Eurospeed EuRoSpEeD

My Friends BMX has only the front brake , cause we use it for racing and with only the front with our setups it seems like it brakes great