Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could learn to love this fast! I was also told there is a special edition if purchased south of the Mason-Dixon that actually has Ya'll control I'm all over that one!

http://www.theroaddiaries.com/2012/02/01/new-sram-red-front-derailleur-no-trim-ever-with-yaw-technology/

• YawTM cage rotates in line with chain, improving the shifting speed and precision while eliminating the need for shifter trim
• Slim spring design eliminates frame interference
• Optimized for shifting with X Glide RTM Chainrings
• Best combination of aluminum and steel for the strongest and most durable cage we have ever made
• Precision install markings
• Integrated chain spotter protects your frame without adding any extra clunk, and adjusts independently of the derailleur itself

·
Registered
415 Posts
Has to be better than the last red attempt eh!!!

I would love to go Ultegra Di2 myself...

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has to be better than the last red attempt eh!!!

I would love to go Ultegra Di2 myself...
I'm just going to say that if I pay 126 bux for one I will gain 2 measurable benefits. I can't say that if I dump 3500 into Di2 :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm here to eat some humble pie :D. After a couple of phone calls it appears that while the derailleur might be 126 bux it would also require a shifter change as well at 700 bux +-. BUT having ridden the Di2 i can still say meh, still not worth it either way.

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just another reason to keep it real and pure :)

the Inner Ring @inrng
Spare a thought for @SimoClarke. 5th in Tour du Haut Var... after his Di2 battery went flat and he couldn't change gears for last 10km

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just another reason to keep it real and pure :)

the Inner Ring @inrng
Spare a thought for @SimoClarke. 5th in Tour du Haut Var... after his Di2 battery went flat and he couldn't change gears for last 10km
If he would have checked the charge before the race he wouldn't have had any problems...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to ride with di2 but would have assumed that it could be changed to manual in case of power failure.:eek: Wow, not that I would ever put that kind of money into something akin to an automatic bowl flusher but knowing if the power source failed I could not use it in a manual fashion makes it even less attractive.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to ride with di2 but would have assumed that it could be changed to manual in case of power failure.:eek: Wow, not that I would ever put that kind of money into something akin to an automatic bowl flusher but knowing if the power source failed I could not use it in a manual fashion makes it even less attractive.

It's servo motors and switches and no way to use as a mech. shifter. The battery last around 1800 miles worth of riding, but if you check the charge every now and then you shouldn't have any problems and the battery takes about 1 hour to charge.
When the power starts to get very low the front derailluer pulls in all the way dropping the chain to the small ring and what power is left will allow you a few shifts on the RD so you can get it into a gear so you could atleast make it home...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The less I have to think when I ride, the more I enjoy the ride! This sounds like a good way to have one more thing the think about!

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Too bad the cost is way out of my league. :(

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too bad the cost is way out of my league. :(
Yea, it's a little spendy and not all the benefits unless you buy the brifters, crank, blah blah blah

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As soon as current stuff needs replacing (end of year) I had thought about going to the Force group but may have to sell some more excess stuff laying around the house and go Red.

·
Two skinny J's
21,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my SRAM but don't think I could justify, for myself, the cost of the new Red! I'm poor and have to wait until that stuff trickles down a wee bit :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts