Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this in an e-mail. Never heard of this before?

I do believe your members should have truthful medical based information on bicycle saddles and the health consequences and the fact the no-nose saddles are the only saddles that have the scientific studies to show their effectiveness in alleviating this problem.

There are several web links that may be useful to your readers.

Workplace Solutions document NIOSH Publication No. 2009-131: No-nose Saddles for Preventing Genital Numbness and Sexual Dysfunction from Occupational Bicycling | CDC/NIOSH | CDC/NIOSH

International Police Mountain Bike Association (IPMBA) has an article from the Chicago Police Department about implementing noseless bicycles into their police force. http://ipmba.org/newsletters/NoselessSaddles-NIOSHWorkplaceSolutions.pdf

CDC/NIOSH topic page NIOSH Topic: Bicycle Saddles and Reproductive Health | CDC/NIOSH

CDC/NIOSH Blog on bike saddles CDC NIOSH Science Blog: Using No-nose (Noseless) Bicycle Saddles to Prevent Genital Numbness and Sexual Dysfunction

No-nose (noseless saddles) can be found at www.healthycycling.org (note: this is not a NIOSH website and NIOSH is not responsible for its content).

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I made one kid, that's enough. And my fiance' is ten years younger than me, so blood flow has not been an issue.

Unless I had a genuine medical need for an ugly seat, I'll keep the one I have. Sounds like an bandaid for poor fit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dean,
I read the study, it has some leaps of logic that aren't supported by the data. It is also not a true medical supported document, looks like it at first glance, but the conclusions don't really relate to the data presented. The study group is also flawed as it truly only relates to bicycle cops, and women in particular. I read a lot of literature(goes with the job)and this is one I would throw in the trash after reviewing the data. I'm keeping my saddle!!
DrB

·
and Monkeypants
12 Posts
I think we probably use the nose more than we think we do-- especially when riding really hard. Mountain biking or road biking doesn't matter for me. I use the nose to control the bike.

Anyway, when I get the money, I'm investing in a Selle SMP! I think my undercarriage would thank me.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
I have two of those Spealized prostrate saddles and one wonderful old Brooks with springs.

I have the prostrate saddles on my road and touring bike and the brooks on my city bike.

I just offset the nose about a quarter of an inch (to the right, don’t know why right).

Feels fine to me. What bothers me is lose shorts in the front rubbing, this hurts and I have to stop and adjust ASAP.

The Terry Saddle for women works well I understand. I remember I had a female partner and it hurt her until she got a Terry.

·
and Monkeypants
12 Posts
I have heard both ends of the spectrum from women about the Terry... I think it comes down to personal preference. I could probably use a new saddle, and I'd love to test out a Selle SMP... but they cost at least an arm, if not a leg as well. :hate:

·
Registered
465 Posts
The Terry Saddle for women works well I understand. I remember I had a female partner and it hurt her until she got a Terry.
Not for me, Terry was very uncomfortable. Also tried the 'gel' seats, can't remember by who, but I could tell 2 minutes into the ride it was not fo rme.

I like my Selle Italia. Would have bought the SMP, but as Reesh mentioned, it is very pricey.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
it seems like we would take all steps necessary to prevent junk numbness. The study proves correlation not causation, and that's good enough for me. I just wonder if it applies to casual cyclist, and if so if the chances are greater or lesser. Seems like it would be greater due to the less developed muscles.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
it seems like we would take all steps necessary to prevent junk numbness. The study proves correlation not causation, and that's good enough for me. I just wonder if it applies to casual cyclist, and if so if the chances are greater or lesser. Seems like it would be greater due to the less developed muscles.
My thoughts are, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My boys don't get numb and everything works just fine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The study listed is only a review of data, not a true "study". All one can induce is that the people who were studied have a problem, not what causes it or why it occurs. It might not have anything to do with bike saddle, might have to do with job stresses related to specifics of job or a hundred other factors not discussed, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this particular study as they truly don't know why this occured. I would recommend you use your own experience and find the saddle that works best for you and not rely on a flawed supposition such as the one quoted.

I also like being able to control the bike with my thighs when standing up, this has been mentioned in this thread already.

Just my evaluation and opinion of this study, I'm stickin to my nosed saddle.
DrB

·
Registered
346 Posts
Actually I get a lot of "weird" tingles, if I worried about them all I be more neurotic than I already am, so i don't worry too much about it. On this issue, worryin about it could be more trouble that the actuality.

Studies I've seen so far are still pretty inconclusive, but I encourage everyone to use best judgement, if a problem exists it will in all likelyhood make it worse. It depends on your age, guys it isn't a matter of "if" you are gonna have prostrate problems, but of "when", whether you ride a bike or not, if you live long enough it will happen. At 56 it is subject very near and dear to my heart, or something like that, so I try to keep up on it as best I can, so far no problems.

I average about 14hrs/wk on bike.
DrB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts