Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up two "dual holder" under seat water bottle cages, one for my new hybrid & another for the road bike I am in the market for. The frame on my hybrid is somewhat cramped for a 20 oz. or larger bottle, so I decided on the under seat cages.

I have been looking through all kinds of "Post pics of your bike" threads on different forums & I hardly ever see an under seat cage on any of the pics. I know I should use that area for a pack, but is there another reason that not many riders like to mount the bottles there?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
They seem to be popular with the triathletes around my area. I looked at going that route last year, but all of 'reasonable' priced holders had less than stellar customer reviews, mostly that the bottles quickly got to where they wouldn't stay in the holder.

Last summer I was doing a lot of 70-100 mile self supported rides and needed more than two bottles. I now rarely ride farther than 65 miles so no need for the extra bottle holders now.

·
1,393 Posts
Shoulder flexibility is my reason for not having them - they seem cool & are probably more aerodynamic being behind the bulk of the rider

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've give a review of how mine work out when I get my new bottles. I already have the cage mounted - it is a cheapo Axiom I found on Amazon, has the cages built in.

http://tinyurl.com/9bfnomh

Many of the one I see only consist of the bracket, you supply the cages. Also, this type mounts to the saddle frame.

I didn't notice the ones that mount to the seat post before I ordered these. If I had seen those first, I may have gotten them.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
I use a seat stem mounted, single cage adaptor for all of my charity rides of 100K or more. I like it, but it's difficult to get the water bottle out while riding. I keep my recovery drink in it and only use it while at rest stops. I have two water bottles at the usual locations.

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
After spending too much $$t for convenient store liquid refills, I purchase a used seat frame mounted unit.
I thought it would save money and give me more time on the bike. I still think it will.
However, my used unit had a bolt with the hex head stripped and I haven't ordered the replacement.
Ride long and far alone and you'll be happy you have the extra liquid.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Rola just got a Prophile Design Dual mount from the swap thread. When I had it no bottles ever fell out and it was a little tricky replacing the bottles while riding. If you ride with a lot of seat post you can still use a saddle bag with it. Another thing was iffin the bottle cage ever breaks or fails to hold the bottle firmly tou can replace them with standard cages.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah, Shoulder flexibility is my reason for not having them - they seem cool & are probably more aerodynamic being behind the bulk of the rider

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used one for a while. 98% of the time they work great, but I found that the extra play that's inherent to the fact that they're mounted away from the bike caused grief when going over a big bump, like a rough railroad track. The bottles would just fly out. If the cages were bent to hold them tighter, then it was too hard to get them out while riding.

I'm sure there are people who love them. But I never felt the love.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't tried an under seat bottle cage yet. I have been trying handlebar mounted bottle cages on both the road bike and the hybrid though, and with both I've had the bottle fly out of the cage when going over a bump in the road. I'll try some slight modifications to see if I can stop that from happening

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on this dual water bottle holder;

http://tinyurl.com/9bfnomh

Works great!

Since it is aluminum the cages can be easy squeezed or opened to the proper bottle size. I have ridden for about six hrs. on trail/street/hit a few potholes & bumps, and haven't lost a bottle yet!

I'm using Polar bottles (24 oz.) with them.

http://tinyurl.com/8dxru9e

Couldn't be happier. I give them - :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

I can easily reach them while riding...I don't have any shoulder issues though. I'm thinking of mounting them a bit more in the upright position for ease of use - I believe a more upright position will allow the bottle to be inserted into the cage easier while en-route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts