Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are staying in the North Georgia Mountains for a few months and I brought the Mtn bike rather than the roadie as I will ride on both pavement & gravel. My Mtn bike is a heavy Trek 4300, a real walrus. I thought I was doing ok with my thirty mile rides in the Piedmont Area of North Carolina and I felt quite pleased with my riding endurance. Today, was a real eye opener, these roads are up and down with no flats! I started the ride after a thunder storm and the temp was right at 91F, you could cut the humidity with a knife. There was no evaporative cooling and my riding gear weighed a ton holding all that perspiration. Well, I made 16 miles with an average of 11.1 mph. Tonight I am beat, the GA mountains will knock the stuffing out of this old rider, however, I will hit it again later this week!

These mountain roads offer great riding with very little auto traffic during the week, however, weekends are not so good as they get lots of traffic and people are not paying attention. Many auto and motorcycle accidents on the weekends!

·
The Back Row
2,514 Posts
Welcome to Georgia! I really feel for you riding a mtn bike on those roads! That has got to be a painful experience. What people don't realize is that there are many Category 4 and 5 climbs on those North GA roads that are not even classified as "gaps" or mountain climbs.

Have you been able to climb any of the gaps yet? What city are you staying in? If you don't mind me asking. I'm about 45 minutes or so South of the mountains in Johns Creek.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Georgia Mtn Riding

Presently I'm staying in a RV park up the road from Unicoi State Park in about a week we'll move to our RV site near Blairsville, GA where we will remain until November. I have not tried the gaps on Hwy 17, 129 or 348 as I am not conditioned for that kind of riding. When I get to Blairsville there's a 5 mile uphill paved road that dead ends into a National Forest gravel fire road which continues the climb for miles. I like riding it and I am able to join up with another rider with the same riding ability who lives on the road. Maybe, with the riding conditioning these mountains provide I might be ready to try the Richard B. Russell (Hwy 348) in the fall when the temps are cooler with low humidity. Until then, I will continue to grind away on these hills.

·
The Back Row
2,514 Posts
Nice, you're probably not too far from Unicoi Gap then. It's not a bad climb, probably the easiest out of the 6.

·
The Back Row
2,514 Posts
Yep, and Hogpen Gap is in Helen - but I would be very prepared for that climb! It is pretty brutal.

·
77 Posts
I love Helen,Ga. I'm a backpacker as well,we stayed the night after a good hike. This place is so nice I took vacation there..with beautiful country,overlooks,friendly people. Those mountains would be great cruising down but I'd agree with the comment above me going back up would be brutal. It's slow go for backpackers lol
Anyway, take your family and enjoy Helen, and see what God's beauty looks like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.