Northroad bars on the SS 'Tarck' bike

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by HandsomeRyan, Dec 4, 2009.

1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Weirdly enough I have 5 sets of handlebars for this bike (Road drops, Dirt drops, Flat bars, Bullhorn, and this Northroad/townie bar) Tonight I took off the road drops and 7 speed IGH and put back on the flip-flop rear wheel and these northroad style handlebars. This process also required a bottom backet swap to restore the correct chainline. The bike is currently running as a freewheeling SS which should be nice as a "townie bike" for cruising around DC. Right now it is running 48/16 but I'd like to get a 18t or 19t freewheel to make it a little more cruiser and less sprinter. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

[​IMG]

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'm sure you know how I feel about anything "tarck", but I gotta say, that looks like a nice bike for around town. As far as having 5 sets of bars, I totally understand, since I'm pretty much doing the same thing with my Windsor. Drops, bullhorns, and a flat bar so far.

3. HandsomeRyan

Yeah, I call it "tarck" since the geometry and clearances aren't nearly slack enough for a "real" townie bike (and who has a bright orange townie really?) but its amazing how much more upright I am when I go from riding the hoods of drops to the back-swept handlebars.

4. HandsomeRyan

It works as a utility bike too.

[​IMG]
    Taking the tandem wheel to the LBS for a new axle after the old one was discovered to be bent.

5. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

I think a rear rack would do you a bit better and if you put a mud flap on it you will not walk into the store with a brown stripe up your backside after a bit of rain. All my bikes have some kind of fender, but I live near Portland OR and It likes to rain here.:cool:

6. Scrodzilla

Scrodzilla Missing Link

Not North Road bars (or tarck) but I've got these VO Porteur bars on my Premium Brew:

[​IMG]

Experimenting with different bars is fun.

7. Industry_Hack

^^ I like that shade of blue.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  8. Industry_Hack