Numb feet while riding

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by loraero47, Feb 20, 2011.

1. loraero47

loraero47 New Member

Do any of you experience numbness in your feet while riding? I experience numbness from the ball of my foot forward to the toes. I have changed my cleats and shoes but it has not gone away.

I started with speed play cleats and recently changed to SPDs. Maybe it is the anatomy of my feet. Any help or advice you might share is appreciated.

Thanks
    :(

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

How old are you? What kind of shoes? Have you had a fitting? Is your seat height, fore/aft and handlebar position correct?

3. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

I find laces effect me once-in-awhile. Too tight/flat or round usually cut the blood flow. There's a pretty large artery on top of yer foot. Coarse I have pretty high arches, which doesn't help in my case.

4. loraero47

loraero47 New Member

Numb Feet

I am 55 and i have been exercising all of my life. I have always experienced numbness with the clip in shoe/cleat system. I have the Ember Road Womens shoes and SPD cleats. Yes, i have had a professional fit.

I may try riding my mountain bike (no cleat system on this bike) to see if i get the same numbness. I normally don't ride my mountain bike as far as the road bike, just want to see if i get the same result.

I do notice when i stop on my road bike (15 min. or so) the numbness goes away. Thanks for your help - i will keep trying.

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Does shifting your position on the bike offer any relief, or just stopping completely? Do you have any other numbness?

I am personally very susceptible to proper positioning, which is why I ask.

6. Green

Green Completely Human

I too have issues with numbness, especially when I peddle long distance. I rarely have problems commuting or when when pedaling under 2 hours. I tend to defeat the problem with frequent changes in foot position and by changing shoes. Having Shimano PD-M325 pedals facilitates both Shimano clip binders and street shoes so I have no problem changing up.
    I refuse to pedal wearing flimsy shoes in any case as this causes issues for me in just a few blocks.
    I have also been known to loosen or tighten laces and velcro, whatever works, when experiencing foot issues on long rides. Always rest a while every 40 to 60 minutes, walk around and stretch, hydrate, especially on long tours.
    I start getting issues around 3 or 4 hours of continuous riding but as usual being able to change position, clothing, padding, fasteners and equipment usually fixes the issue and enables me to pedal for 6 to 8 hours if I so choose, but I rarely pedal more than 5 or 6 on long tours. There is just FAR too many reasons to dismount and explore...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  7. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Have you tried any different seats or saddles? A saddle that isn't right for you could be pinching something causing some numbness. It could be either a restriction in blood flow or pinching a nerve. Does the numbness start as soon as you start pedaling or does it take a while? Does how hard you are pedaling affect how quickly or how severe the numbness becomes? When a body part goes numb, its telling you something.

8. Saugus18

Saugus18 Specialized Crosstrail

Never ever got numb feet. Now the fingers I get slight numbness with that tingle feeling sometimes. I now keep that to a minimum with Ergon G1 grips and gloves. Gloves that are to tight around the wrist can be a problem with blood flow as well that seem to cause some tingles, so I wear them loose.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  9. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I have had numbness in my toes on a 3 or 4 hr. ride and have found if I move my feet to anouther posision in about 1/2 mile the numbness is gone. I use flat peddles so not much to move my feet around. I rode 4330 miles last year so I guess getting numb toes is not doing to much harm, and I am 66 years old and 235#

10. j3rd

j3rd Jay

I also get numbness in my feet. Besides stopping and getting off the bike, sometimes I just pull up on the pedals for a while. Of course this works best with toe clips or clipless pedals, but should work with platforms by lightening pressure on the upstroke.

11. jimhusten

jimhusten New Member

There should be some distance between the legs and the paddle for you to ride the bicycle. You have to put enough pressure while riding this causes enough energy to put on the legs that cause you so much pain!

12. spoco57

spoco57 New Member

I'm 55 and using platform pedals. Yes, the centers of the balls of my feet tend to go a bit numb after an hour or so of pedaling. When I begin to get that funny funky feeling, I am able to change position slightly, which usually alleviates the numbness almost immediately. Once in a while, as with numb hands, I remove one from position and shake well. I choose my spots, of course.

13. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I was having foot pain and numbness on longer rides a few years ago. I ended up solving the problem by switching to a shoe with a carbon fiber sole. The stiffness of the sole acted like a platform to spread out the pressure over my foot. I run eggbeaters which have a very small contact surface which was creating a pressure point on my foot.

Dunno if this has anything to do with your particular problem, but that's what worked for me. Now if I could just get my freakin' lower back to stop hurting.:(