Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm new to riding road bikes, but is it normal to have a slightly stiff neck after about 15 min. on the bike? Also my hands start to go numb after about the same amount of time. I spent about an hour getting fitted to the bike when I bought it, and the shop owner told me it was common to have the numbness and stiffness at first, but after doing my first 20 miler on the bike today I am also feeling a little "cramped" on the bike. I'm Google searching like crazy trying to find some answers, can any of you guys help me out with?:hate:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I do not stretch, and yes I am probably 30-40 pounds overweight,(I was 270 and now weigh 229, hoping to drop even more now that I ride daily) I'm 5'10" and just started riding regularly about 3 weeks ago. Any suggestions, and please be kind I am trying to get/stay in shape.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Do you try to keep your head up the whole time you're riding? Do you ride in the drops, or switch up hand positions frequently? I guess you should describe your riding position. I'm picturing someone spending too much time in the drops, while trying to see the road ahead, but I could be wrong. And my doctor would tell you that you're about 50 pounds overweight, as we're the same height, and he seems to think I should be around 180. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very rarely in the drops, mostly I'm on the hoods. I try and move my hands around on the top area of the handlebars, I ride in some traffic so I like to keep my head up and on a swivel so as not to get creamed by someone texting while driving, and if I was 180 I would look like I was starving! I am also including a pic of what is left of my right hand after a radical ray resection to get rid of a cancerous tumor, may have something to do with the numbness I'm experiencing.

Attachments

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Are you only numb in your right hand, or both? Numbness is caused by pressure on nerves, so you need to determine where that pressure is coming from. When you were fit, did they work with you on getting fit in the upright position you ride in? If not, you may indeed be a bit cramped. Examine the angle of your wrists when riding - are they bent at uncomfortable angles? You may need a stem with more length and/or rise.

By the way, this is difficult to do over the internet, but I like the fact that it's forcing me to think a bit so early in the morning.

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
I used a somewhat radical procedure to get rid of stiff neck and numb hands - I bought a recumbent.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
No it's not normal. I had issues at first with seat placement and thickness and it resolved the issue for me. I think I was sitting on my spine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get numb in both of my hands, I also ride with a back pack on, so that may have something to do with it too.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
How old were you when you got cancer and did it start as a mass under the skin you could see/feel?

I have a condition in my shoulder area that apparently is common where my nerves get kinked really easy sitting or riding in a position for too long. Then I get numbness in both my legs and arms. It has a name, I will look through my documents for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think you'll have to concentrate on putting less weight on the hands and keeping your arms slightly bent. When your arms are straight there is no cushion from the road and all the vibration and bumps are absorbed by your shoulders, neck and back - and even your hands. What you'll need for this is strong abs.

Note: I talk like I'm there, but I'm not. I just know what I need to work on, and why.

Bill

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
same problems here, even after a fitting. plus numbness in my right foot. Had some in the fall when I first started riding, but it seemed to get better over the winter - probably due to the ski gloves and snow boots. is worse now than before.

Trying some road riding on the mountain bike for a while to see if it is simply that my body and the road bike don't mix due to the position of my hands, feet, shoulders, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was 21 when I was diagnosed and treated(IE amputation). At first I thought it was a ganglia cyst, but after it was biopsied I was told that it was a malignant tumor, and yes it started as a mass under the skin that I could see and feel.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well my Fugi has 2 sets of brakes on the bars. I know its extra weight, but I like having brakes within easy reach when I have my hands up near the stem. Like you I am almost never in the drops, but I do have 2 hand positions from which I can go back and forth. Have much more of a problem with that on my mountain bike.

Another thing I found is gloves with better padding helps a lot too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I've got bar ends and padded gloves, they help a little bit but not enough. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to change handle bars

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 to Engyo. Recumbent = no pressure on hands. Bar-end shifters might be easier for you to operate than twist shifters, while thumb shifters would be a Bad Idea. A 'bent with a moderate seat angle will also put your neck in a neutral position. What kind of performance are you looking for?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm using a Trek 7.1 FX as a commuter and I'd just like to make the 11 mile round trip back and forth to work without my hands getting numb. I'm thinking that I'll try an adjustable stem to raise the flat bars up some and if that doesn't help then I will look into changing the handle bars.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If your hands are getting numb in 5.5 miles (one way commute), there almost has to be an adjustment issue as you are almost certainly putting too much weight on your hands. Your LBS, if they're any good, should be able to diagnose the problem for you.

Make your adjustments in small increments. Changing your body position to cure one ailment can easily cause another to surface. For example - raising your handlebars will put you in a more upright position and will shift weight to the saddle (plus you will catch more wind). Even a small saddle adjustment, either height, or adjusting the back and forth distance, can make a big difference.

I just made a saddle adjustment on my Roubaix by moving it back about 1/2 inch. It made a difference in my climbing power as well as comfort riding the drops.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts