numbness from bike saddle

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by fitnessride, Jan 28, 2010.

1. fitnessride

fitnessride New Member

hi i lowered the saddle in the front to help with numness but if i lower it to much i feel like i am go to slide off. should it be level or tilled down ?

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Generally, it should be level. Have you tried sliding it forward or backward to see if that helps?

3. fitnessride

fitnessride New Member

no but i will try that. the bike shop set it. i just tilted it to try that did not help. thanks for the tip

4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

My method of fitting saddles is "keep adjusting until it feels right" but usually the adjustment is up/down [in very tiny increments] with the seat post or forward/back on the rails. If it is a new saddle it may take a few miles before your butt and the saddle to become friendly with one and other.

5. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Might be the saddle. Even an expensive one needs to fit you. Before you go crazy on adjustment make sure it is a male friendly in the important places. Everyone's butt and bones are different, you need to find one that fits your anatomy.I ran into that myself, just because it was $110 saddle didn't mean it was right for me. A $49 Specialized saddle did the trick for me.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Ditto what greenhorn said. A proper fitting saddle will make all the difference in the world.

7. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Turn the nose lift or right just a little to "help" with room for things!!

8. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Hey...I never heard that before. Might be another trick for comfort. I guess it takes "cranking old guy" to know these things. Thanks Burr.

9. fitnessride

fitnessride New Member

thanks for all the tips i will try and see what works on the next trip or two

10. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

It does take some patience and riding to get it just right. Also as you ride those "areas" seem to get tougher. Movements forward and the tilt should be done in very small increments. You will be amazed at how different 1/8 inch feels. you may also be suprised that raising the front (tilt back) helps some. Also when you will find the padded riding shorts work well. When you put them on, lift your junk. A gel pad for your seat is something else to try. Still, there is nothing that works better than saddle time.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I've had issues down there and my saddle barely comes between my legs it's at such a lean. I sort of perch myself against it and rarely sit down. If Lance can ride why can't I?