Two Spoke Forums banner

NY taxes and life

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  kneedrachen 
#1 · (Edited)
Good gawd with those gas prices you would have to ride a bike!
It definitely helps with the motivation part! I figure if I could ride the bike for 1/2 of my trips it cuts down the cost to 2 bucks a gallon. New york taxes the H#!! out of gas as well.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea I know, my father-in-law lives down south of you in the Catskills, Wallkill to be exact. Gas and cigerattes and property tax and school tax and and and and and it never ends up there:D

#4 ·
Yea I know, my father-in-law lives down south of you in the Catskills, Wallkill to be exact. Gas and cigerattes and property tax and school tax and and and and and it never ends up there:D
I live a little further south in NJ and was wondering where in the whole country would be the least taxed area/state/town? Most of the real estate taxes go to fund schools and the rest to fund police and other services. Is there any place where there are no schools? I don't think I can afford to live in my own house with no mortgage from social security and other investment income when the time comes.

#5 ·
I'm not sure the exact answer to your question, but a lot of people live in small RV's, conversion vans, or trailers, and rent when they are inclined to or living somewhere they are making enough money. Maybe having some kind of RV could be a backup for if you get swindled out of your home by "property taxes". If you have to keep paying a tax on something you've paid for in full, it's not really your property, right? (sad)

Maybe you can live in an "unincorporated" rural area. Some places will even give you free land if you can bring a business to their town (some places in Colorado are like that, quiet little towns).

#6 ·
I live a little further south in NJ and was wondering where in the whole country would be the least taxed area/state/town? Most of the real estate taxes go to fund schools and the rest to fund police and other services. Is there any place where there are no schools? I don't think I can afford to live in my own house with no mortgage from social security and other investment income when the time comes.
I think Va.now has as many NY as NY does.I have meet so many people moving to this aera to get away front he taxes of NY. I have 3 neighbors all from NY here specifically to live in their retirement years!

#7 ·
Cleaned up the other thread and moved these here so other don't have to weed though off topic conversations to get back on track :)

#9 ·
Sounds like where I need to retire to someday although I don't see that word as being part of my vocabulary in the foreseeable future....if at all! That and I don't think I could get my spousal unit to approve of cold winters anymore :)

#10 · (Edited)
I think Va.now has as many NY as NY does.I have meet so many people moving to this aera to get away front he taxes of NY. I have 3 neighbors all from NY here specifically to live in their retirement years!
I'll bet a lot of them are from western new york, not only to avoid taxes, but the weather is tougher to tolerate as you get older. although last year was unbelieveably mild. (global Warming would actually help buffalo!)

one other item that always kills me is the 9/10 of a cent they add on the end. that might have meade sense 30 years ago when gas was 19 cents a gallon but now that it is over4 bucks can we please get rid of that stupid 9/10's? who are they trying to fool with that?

#11 ·
Delaware is fairly cheap I have a beach home there its worth more than my home in Pa and the taxes for the year are $750 school, state and town taxes. Taxes in Pa are $4000

#12 ·
Delaware is fairly cheap I have a beach home there its worth more than my home in Pa and the taxes for the year are $750 school, state and town taxes. Taxes in Pa are $4000
Anywhere near Rehoboth ?

#14 ·
Yes I am about 45 minutes above Rehoboth small fishing village called Bowers Beach.
I smell a DFH trip in my future :)

#16 ·
Been in MD for 15 months, spent my whole life in NYC/NJ.

In 2006, bought a 1300 square foot townhouse, $6k in property taxes.

Last May, bought a 2100 square foot house pay $2200 a year on .20 acre.

We talk about going back to NJ all of the time if we can, but honestly, how the heck can we afford to move back there? My in-laws have a neighbor selling a ranch, just under 1000 square feet on 0.09 acres, $339,900! And that's a "good" deal!

Jon, is that your flathead Indian?

#20 ·
Any time you want to fish let me know.

A picture of the wife and I on the bay.
Oh we can do some time on the bay now!

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
I'm not sure the exact answer to your question, but a lot of people live in small RV's, conversion vans, or trailers, and rent when they are inclined to or living somewhere they are making enough money. Maybe having some kind of RV could be a backup for if you get swindled out of your home by "property taxes". If you have to keep paying a tax on something you've paid for in full, it's not really your property, right? (sad)

Maybe you can live in an "unincorporated" rural area. Some places will even give you free land if you can bring a business to their town (some places in Colorado are like that, quiet little towns).
That sounds very interesting. I will be looking into
finding out more about unincorporated towns/areas.

#22 ·
It doesn't even have to be too far away from the usual comforts. But the closer you are to Wall-Mart and public schools, the more likely it is to be incorporated, even against your will. For example, there are some unincorporated areas outside of Forney, Texas (small but growing railroad town), which are 5 miles from a Wongmart, dollar stores, restaurants, doctors, furniture stores, truckstop, several new schools, and which have water service (not just well water). The residents there have had signs for years protesting incorporation and excessive taxes. Last time I bicycled through there (few years ago), they were still posted.

#23 ·
Been in MD for 15 months, spent my whole life in NYC/NJ.

In 2006, bought a 1300 square foot townhouse, $6k in property taxes.

Last May, bought a 2100 square foot house pay $2200 a year on .20 acre.

We talk about going back to NJ all of the time if we can, but honestly, how the heck can we afford to move back there? My in-laws have a neighbor selling a ranch, just under 1000 square feet on 0.09 acres, $339,900! And that's a "good" deal!

Jon, is that your flathead Indian?
Wow...I missed this somehow. My wife and I just looked at a property that was built in 2007. Only 2100 st ft but has 10.63 acres at the end of a gravel road that is way down the road to nowhere. loved it. Realtor said the the home owner had over 500,00.00 invested on the market for 325.000 and I promise you the taxes where NOWHERE anything you all are talking about.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3092236117-11313-Farm-Rd-Saluda-VA-23149

#24 ·
To answer Knee from a few posts back, no that is not mine :( But is was such a cool bike I couldn't help but snap a photo. and like I said before super nice guy. and just like in this taxes discussion Originally from Buffalo but permenantly displaced to Daytona.

One last Item, I'm certainly not trying to defend high taxes, but you do have to look at what services you get for the dollars. In Buffalo (or at least West Seneca) every time it snows that evening Plows and salters come buy, Everything I have ever put out for garbage pick up has been taken. The schools are excellent, Police Department does a pretty good job. ( I never seem to here of them screwing up which is a good thing) There are Parks and playgrounds for almost every subdivision, We have a recreation department that runs Hockey, baseball, football, Lacrosse, Soccer and probably a few I'm missing. We pay close to $4,000 a year on a 1700 sq.ft house. city, county, sewer, and school tax included Still that is 333.00 a month before you start paying your mortgage. (another reason the prices of houses stays fairly low in the buffalo area, you can't afford to pay a hugh mortgage)

#25 ·
I live in an unincorporated area. Basically it is the same as a "town/city/borough" but no "city tax."

Schools are county run and I have public water/sewer (county run).

What I do not get is a municipal police department (county sheriff/state police instead), municipal DPW (county/state) for snow removal and I have to pay a private company for garbage pick up. It "saves" me about $1200 a year.

Now. . . .

Living in the metro NYC area my entire life this is not "rural" by any stroke of the imagination, it's just a little more spread out. Instead of a 2 minute drive to the grocery store or pharmacy, it might be 6 minutes. Wegmans, DSW, Panera, Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Chipotle, CVS, Walgreen's, BK, McDonalds, Wendys, Dunkin Donuts, Chick-Fil-A, Rita's, Taco Bell etc etc etc all within 8 minutes of my house.

#26 ·
I live in an unincorporated area. Basically it is the same as a "town/city/borough" but no "city tax."

Schools are county run and I have public water/sewer (county run).

What I do not get is a municipal police department (county sheriff/state police instead), municipal DPW (county/state) for snow removal and I have to pay a private company for garbage pick up. It "saves" me about $1200 a year.

Now. . . .

Living in the metro NYC area my entire life this is not "rural" by any stroke of the imagination, it's just a little more spread out. Instead of a 2 minute drive to the grocery store or pharmacy, it might be 6 minutes. Wegmans, DSW, Panera, Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Chipotle, CVS, Walgreen's, BK, McDonalds, Wendys, Dunkin Donuts, Chick-Fil-A, Rita's, Taco Bell etc etc etc all within 8 minutes of my house.

Germantown area?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.