Obama's Speech and Afganistan Buildup

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TxCyclist, Dec 2, 2009.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Anyone watch his Address last night? If so what did you think about his plan.

2. madal

madal New Member

I didn't see the whole thing, just heard some of it on the radio news. I've always had my doubts about the whole thing to be honest as apart from the obvious reasons for being there such as greed, wealth, greed, wealth, greed wealth :D how can anyone justify this campaign?:confused:

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My daughter married a Marine a few months ago. She's not so happy.

4. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I'll be the first to admit I really like Obama but I am not supportive of sending more troops to Afghanistan. I subscribe to the "more troops is just poking the hornets nest" theory.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Any body catch the WMD drop? Fear tactics maybe?

6. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

I saw it. He did say when he was running that he was going to reinvigorate the war in Afghanistan. 30,000 troops is still a lot of troops though.

7. Michigander

Michigander Member

I didn't see it, but everyone I know who did see it, including republicans and democrats, said he came off as a psychopath with how he presented the speech.

Doesn't mean much to me either way. I've always believed he was a war mongering lunatic in disguise, otherwise he wouldn't have been elected.

8. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

I look at it this way: He had a load of sh!t dumped in his lap by the previous administration. Out of the two wars, Afghanistan was actually justifiable, and opening a second front in Iraq only screwed up the mission on the first front.

Anyway, he's got to do something in Afghanistan. If we just pull out and let the Taliban take over, I think it may destabilize Pakistan's frontiers and the thought of Pakistan going rogue with nukes and all is pretty frightening. Since we're already there, I think it's up to us to stabilize the region. I'm pleased that along with the 30,000 US troops, several thousand troops from other countries have also been committed (I heard the number 7000 a few days ago).

And as for his delivery ("psychopath with how he presented the speech"), I didn't see it that way. But on the other hand, if the enemy thinks of him that way, a little intimidation isn't necessarily a bad thing.